The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
Rosvineer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Ok after 8 days in primary it appears fermentation has mostly stopped. I had a OG of 1.049 and hydrometer reads 1.007. Smells decent and doesn't taste terrible, but very light bodied. I'm hoping that extra time and eventual carbonation will improve the flavor.

Definitely going to try something with more body next time.

Sam Adams White Lantern on the left and my home brewed IPA on the right. I realize these 2 beers are nothing alike. Only beer I had on hand an I had to "relax"

image-3752151447.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Rosvineer
Recipes 

Also may try carbing with dme rather than corn sugar. Will it add a bit of body to this beer?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Ok after 8 days in primary it appears fermentation has mostly stopped.
It's a hoax. Yeast does that, it goes through a lag phase where it looks like nothing is happening, a fast ferment phase where it looks like everything is happening, and a quiet phase again where the yeast break down the intermediate compounds it made in phase 2 and cleans up any off flavors. Give this another 10 days to 2 weeks before you bottle it. You don't have to control the temperature much in this last phase like you should in the first 2 phases.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
Rosvineer
Recipes 

Will carbing with DME give this beer some body and a little more flavor? Right now it tastes and feels like a half can of bud light that has sat on the night stand over night.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 48

DME does work for carbing, but you are only adding a fraction of the total fermentables, so it will not increase the body much. The reason it's so thin is the amount of sugar added, which contributes alcohol only and adds no body. Carbonation will change how it tastes. Usually it adds some mouthfeel, so it will only help. You'll get this batch drank up in a month or two and be on to the better unhopped extract kits which will be maltier.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Rosvineer
Recipes 

I hope so. Kind of disappointing first try. I'm going into secondary tonight so I can start another, hopefully better batch in my primary

Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 235 Posts

It does increase mouthfeel but you will have to wait longer for bottles to be completely carbed. Not necessarily a bad thing as it will keep you from drinking your green beer.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Carbonation gives the illusion of body but yes it will be much better carbonated.

As solbes said, sugar in the recipe makes for a drier, thinner beer. If you want a heavier bodied beer go with a recipe that does not have sugar in it. Beers with only malt based sugars will have more body.

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Quick Reply