Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First attempt at a yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghutch
So the part that confuses me is, If I am going to decant the liquid off of a large starter do I have to let it complete fermentation first (3-5 days) then chill and decant the night before brew day? Or can I just make my starter two days before, shaking it every time I pass by, and then toss it in the fridge the night before I brew?

Does that make sense?

-hutch
You fridge it for a few days prior to brew day. On brew day you pull it, decant, mix it up and pitch it

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
Bottoms_Up
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghutch View Post
So the part that confuses me is, If I am going to decant the liquid off of a large starter do I have to let it complete fermentation first (3-5 days) then chill and decant the night before brew day? Or can I just make my starter two days before, shaking it every time I pass by, and then toss it in the fridge the night before I brew?

Does that make sense?

-hutch
Always let it ferment out completely first. If you shake the starter several times during the day, it will ferment out much faster and you will get a higher yeast count. Better is a stir plate when it will ferment out in a day or day and a half. Then put it in the fridge until you are ready to pitch (let it settle for a day if possible, but you can leave it for 2 or 3 days). Then pour off most of the clear liquid (beer), leaving enough so you can mix the yeast back in and pour it into your wort. Let it get up to room temperature before you pitch it. Since there is a small volume, that should only take an hour or two.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghutch View Post

Does that make sense?

-hutch
Starters ferment much quicker than full volume beers. More like 24-48 hours tops. I'm brewing this weekend(in 3 days), just did my starter this morning, will put it in the fridge to cold crash on Friday morning(48 hours fermentation).
And I haven't made my stirplate yet. Still looking for that old computer that I KNOW is sitting somewhere up in the attic.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
CBU123
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
There's many threads on this subject, but suffice to say the flavor contribution of pitched starters is worried about far more than any actual observed problems. If you are worried about it, go ahead and chill it for a few days and decant as described above. I personally pitch the whole thing into most batches without any noticeable ill effect. Do what makes sense to you, but know that off flavors from starters are kind of a boogeyman...
+1

Chris

Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
sterno74
Recipes 

Default Conclusion

I forgot to comment on how this all worked out. The starter really helped and the taste of the beer when all was said and done was probably my best yet. So if there were some "off flavors" they either went well with it or never materialized.

So at least in a big high gravity beer like what I was making, the "chill and decant" step seems to be unnecessary.

Quick Reply