Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Attempt Recipe Making...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Delaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default First Attempt Recipe Making...

I'm using the tastybrew calculator for this...

I entered my YEAST AA% as 75...is this correct? I also inted to add 2-3lbs of frozen raspberries into secondary...I assume this will raise my ABV considerably...

yeast to use: Fermentis Safale S-04

I want the color light...hence 6 SRM

Does this make sense? I changed it a little to account for the raspberries ABV %

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
sumnerdave
Recipes 

72-75% is a good general rule of thumb for most yeast types. And, yes, the sugars added by the raspberries will probably kick your ABV 1.5-2% or so.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

nice find on tastybrew! go newbie! I've done a few raspberry beers and i'd say go a bit lighter on final ABV 1-1.5% but they taste GREAT add to end of primary stage and for-go secondary and you'll be fine

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 07-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
Delaney
Recipes 

Okay so I changed the plan up a little...

I just want to make sure, that Actual Attenuation % should be entered as 75% for most yeasts?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Delaney
Recipes 

I'll call it Pale Raspberry Ale

Old 07-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

75% sounds right

what strain of yeast are you using.... unless it's some thing crazy like pacman 75% is about right

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 07-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Delaney
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
75% sounds right

what strain of yeast are you using.... unless it's some thing crazy like pacman 75% is about right
Fermentis Safale S-04

I'm going to make the wort this afternoon...and cross my fingers.

I decided to modify it a bit further to suit a 6 gallon (5 Imperial) Recipe, and for a less bitter taste

Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

dont worry too much about figuring out the actual attenuation in your recipe calculation. A good rule of thumb is English yeasts - 60-70%, American - 70-80%, Belgian - 75-85%. Trying to pinpoint between 72 and 75 for recipe formulation is an exercise in futility...the yeast will do what they want. Unless you do a forced-fermentation test you wont know for sure until you make the beer....besides, it's not something that will make or break a recipe in any way, in my opinion.

I'd set your S-04 at 70% since it's an English yeast, but a pretty aggressive one.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4379 Times on 3186 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
dont worry too much about figuring out the actual attenuation in your recipe calculation. A good rule of thumb is English yeasts - 60-70%, American - 70-80%, Belgian - 75-85%. Trying to pinpoint between 72 and 75 for recipe formulation is an exercise in futility...the yeast will do what they want. Unless you do a forced-fermentation test you wont know for sure until you make the beer....besides, it's not something that will make or break a recipe in any way, in my opinion.

I'd set your S-04 at 70% since it's an English yeast, but a pretty aggressive one.
Not only that, but honey ferments fully while crystal malt does not. Extract is hard to predict also, depending on who the manufacturer is and the ingredients in the extract. Honey is nearly 100% fermentable (can ferment to .990!) but extract will be far less fermentable as will malt sugars.

So predicting attenuation is not as easy as just picking the average attenuation of a yeast strain. Your best guess will still be a wild guestimate.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Delaney
Recipes 

Can I add the honey after the 60 minute boil, so that I can drop the temp to 150F and retain the honey aromas that might be lost at higher temps, or does it need to be added during the boil???

I also have some blackberries, would they affect the ABV to a similiar degree as the raspberries would?

Note: I'm actually using Hugh Baird LIGHT CARASTAN MALT (Lovibond 13 - 17), not crystal L20...I assume this is negligible to consider with calculations?

Quick Reply