Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first attempt. couple noob questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpennock View Post
All my bottles have a hole in them, that's where I drink the beer from.

Do you have an auto-siphon? I find it makes the job a lot easier.
I have the siphon that came with the kit. I dont think its and auto-siphon. I don't know what to do. Now I am reading that many think it is not necessary to rack to a seconday at all. If that's the case I could just use the Glass carboy as my primary and just bottle after a few weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Frodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
I have the siphon that came with the kit. I dont think its and auto-siphon. I don't know what to do. Now I am reading that many think it is not necessary to rack to a seconday at all. If that's the case I could just use the Glass carboy as my primary and just bottle after a few weeks.
If it's a 5 gal carboy (which it probably is in that kit), there might not be enough headspace for a 5 gal brew - you'll lose volume to blow-off (foam coming out of the top), and in that case you'll need a blow-off tube (so your airlock doesn't get clogged by all the krausen going through it).

Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
ericpennock
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Is it common to have kits that come with a 6 gallon bottling bucket and a 5 gallon carboy? That seems backwards to me.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
Frodo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpennock View Post
Is it common to have kits that come with a 6 gallon bottling bucket and a 5 gallon carboy? That seems backwards to me.
Ya. I didn't read close enough and assumed that it was a primary fermenter not a bottling bucket. OP do you know the volume of the carboy? If it's 6 or 6.5 gal then you'd be fine just fermenting in that, and forgetting the secondary fermentation.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
92greenyj
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
lol, yeah I can already see this hobby spinning wildly out of control My fiance thinks I am crazy but hopefully I can change her way of thinking with a good first batch

you have no idea man. I hve pretty much a whole wall in my garage dedicated to my brewing system and all my equipment. an 8 tap kegerator I built, 4 tap jockey box. Yeah it can get out of hand fast

In Primary:

In Secondary:

On Tap:
Shiner Mock (Shiner Bock Clone)
Highlanders Glory (Strong Scottish Ale)
Krawler Kolsch
Peachy Keen (Peach Ale)
Venemous Vanilla Porter
Zen Kolsch (Green Tea Honey Kolsch)
Slam Dunkel (Dunkelweizen)
Milky Stout (Sweet/Milk Stout)

Bottled:
Barley Bliss (18.5% ABV Barley Wine)
Victory Vanilla Porter
Spiced Holiday Porter

Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

I just checked, the carboy is 5 gallons. I guess I still need to either use the bottling bucket or get a new bucket for primary.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #17
Frodo
Recipes 

Quote:
I just checked, the carboy is 5 gallons. I guess I still need to either use the bottling bucket or get a new bucket for primary.
Or scale your batch down to maybe 4 or 4.5 gallons to reduce the chance of loss out of the carboy.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #18
ericpennock
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm just a mere mortal among the brewing gods here on the forum, but I think getting a 6 or 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy (or better bottle) would be a good idea if you are planning to do this for a while. What sort of package did you get? I am still confused on the reason a kit would include a 5 gallon primary fermenter and a 6 gallon bottling bucket. When you rack off of the fermenter to the bucket you will have somewhat less liquid so it would seem that you would want/need a larger primary.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 AM   #19
Jamison
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My kit came with a 6 gallon primary fermenter, a 5 gallon glass carboy for secondary and a bottling bucket. I picked up 6 gallon better bottle to do my primary and I use the 6 gallon bucket for my sanitizing solution. I am glad I got the better bottle. It is nice to be able to see that is going on inside. It is kind of mesmerizing, like a lava lamp. I will be doing the secondary in the 5 gal. carboy. Another nice thing about the better bottle is that the bottom is crowned to make it easier to to avoid transfering the trub to your secondary. You should be able to pick one up for under $30.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #20
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

This is the kit I got. It says its a 6 gallon carboy but something I read in the kit said 5 gal. I guess i need to figure out which one it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Quick Reply