Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Attempt at Brewing w/o a Kit - Need Recipe Feedback!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
oswaldoSinCity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Attempt at Brewing w/o a Kit - Need Recipe Feedback!

Hello fellow brewers –

After months of using these forums for advice, I finally decided to sign up. This is my first post! I’m trying to do my first brew without a kit, and I have some questions.

Until now, my friend and I only used True Brew homebrew kits (6 brews total, to varying degrees of success). So, obviously, we normally work with extracts and pre-selected hops. On this occasion, I want to make a hoppy pale ale. I live in the desert and it would be great to have a pale for the early spring. I spent two summers in Portland, OR, and had some great hoppy pales. I guess the most obvious example is Deschutes’ Mirror Pond, but there were other regional breweries such as Caldera that made strong stuff.

Here’s my “rough draft” recipe for the pale:

Hops:
Chinook 11.8%
Amarillo 9.3%
Cascade 6.4%

Malt Grains:
½ pound Crystal/Caramel 60L
½ pound Crystal/Caramel 20L

Malt Extract:
6 pounds Munton’s Light Extract

Hop Schedule:
1 oz Chinook – 60 minutes
1 oz Amarillo – 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade – 10 minutes
.5 oz Amarillo – 5 minutes

1 oz Cascade – Dry Hopped

My most important question is about the hops. I expect that the Chinook hops will make this pale a bit more bitter than other pales, and I like that. The Amarillo hops are new to me – never brewed them, only tasted them in other beers…

Will this amount of hops overwhelm the beer? Do I have a good hop schedule, or should I change up the process? Am I missing something wildly important?

Anything helps – Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

It'll be pretty hoppy, that's for sure, but I don't think it'll be totally out of control. That said, you might want to throttle back on that Chinook addition at 60 mins in favor of larger late hop additions. I get more enjoyment out of hop flavor and aroma over straight up IBUs, but YMMV.

Do you have some brewing software to help you out if you want to tweak this? If not, do a search for Brewtarget on this site. It's a pretty good free program if you don't feel like shelling out cash for Beersmith or ProMash right now.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 146

sounds yummy to me as is! although you can probably see by my user description that my tastes go toward the overly hopped ales. Amarillo is good stuff.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Plug that into hopville and check the IBUs against this graph: understanding the relationship between hops and malt ... Should put you on the right track ...

The malts sound fine though ...

Old 01-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchoven View Post
Plug that into hopville and check the IBUs against this graph: understanding the relationship between hops and malt ... Should put you on the right track ...

The malts sound fine though ...
If you lived in Oregon and you like hoppy beers your recipe is right on target. I might consider reducing the initial bittering addition slightly, but overall you are on the right path. The hops you have chosen work great together. I have some very similar recipes.

When I feed my beer to people who don't like hoppy beer they feel it is out of balance, but most hop heads can't get enough. The graph here underestimates my desire for bitterness and hop flavor. BTW Caldera rocks, as do Oakshire, Ninkasi (in the past), and Laurelwood. Hope you can find what you are looking for.

PS: don't get me started on Ninkasi. Breweries shouldn't take controversial political positions.

meh.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well if you like hops then you are on the right track! I just did two IPA's that had about 8oz of hops in each (was trying to clear out my old hops) of which about 6oz were late additions!

Tried one tonight and it is just like sucking on a hop cone, of course I love hops!

Keep us posted!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That looks pretty good. One thing I've learned with hops is the American high Alfa hops are great for bittering if you want the traditional citrus flavor. I have been playing with more European hops that give an earthy floral flavor.

My house beer is an APA that gets brewed once a week.

15 lbs marris otter
1 lbs crystal 60
1 lbs carapils

2 oz chinook @ 60 min
2 oz cascade @ 30 min
2 oz perle @ flame out
2 oz cascade at the end of primary
2 oz cascade at 14 days

Beer conditions for 4 weeks

Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

that .5 Amarillo for the last 5 minutes won't add anything to your beer at all so either make it 1.5 Amarillo for 15 mins or just drop it.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I agree with bob; the Amarillo hops are great bittering, but for a late addition aroma check out cascade or northern brewer.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I like Amarillo for the late additions or dry hopping. But I see what Bob is saying about that small addition getting lost in this recipe.

Quick Reply