Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First attempt, brewcraftusa kit question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Doools
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First attempt, brewcraftusa kit question

Hey guys I just got my first brewing kiting was the deluxe starter kit from brewcraftusa it has everything I think I'll need to get started however it does come with a secondary fermenter bucket with a spigot they also expect you to use as a bottling bucket. I feel like I should use it for one or the other and just buy the opposite of what I choose to use it for, thoughts? Also my first ingredient kit is called the Dry Hopped West Coast IPA and calls for an OG of 1.069, from what I understand that may require a yeast starter which seems a little intimidating for my first brew session. Is it possible to do it without a starter? The kit comes with one packet of Safale US-05 would that be enough yeast and an active enough yeast to skip the starter? Thanks for all your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Psycotte
Psychotic Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Welcome aboard! My first brew was done with the brewcraft kit. They make very nice beers. Personally I would try and brew something a little easier than a dry hopped big IPA like that as your first brew. The brewcraft Rocky mountain amber ale kit is delicious and easy to do. I have brewed it twice and it came out great both times. If you do intend to go ahead on the IPA I think the US-05 will be just barely enough to get you over the hump. I personally would get a second pack of it as it is a cheap yeast.

Primary #1: Turn the Paige Apfelwein
Primary #2: Brutally Brown Ale
Primary #3: Empty and Sad...
Next Up: Thinking....

Untappd: Psycotte
My Untappd brewery
Psychotic Brewing Co.
Brewer's Friend Profile: Curt Cicotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMeDuffMan

You can never be wrong in hating the cowgirls.
Ever.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
T29
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I just did a gallon batch of west coast IPA

if you are dry hopping then use a secondary if youre not then dont bother, its not needed. Brewing is pretty straight forward and simple. Use what you have and learn how to use it. With the yeast you have straight pitch it between 53f -77f and youll be fine. Follow the instructions I let it ferment at 68 to 70f.

Dont be intimidated and have fun brewing! make sure you keep all your stuff clean and sanitized to avoid infection and spoiling your batch. I write down the steps i take and record any error i made and if the batch is really good i can follow it and make it again. WAit 24/48 hours and youll see the yeast go nuts.

here is a link you can use to read.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Hope that helps and welcome to the boards!

Old 12-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Doools
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses, I figured a big IPA wasn't the best way to start however it was a great and therefore is the only kit I have right now and I'm wanting to get started as soon as possible haha,very excited to become a home brewer. I think it might be best if I go pick up and easier kit to start with, thanks again for all the help.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
T29
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

You can start with what you have, dont worry to much. dry hopping after is just waiting for the yeast to do its job and settling 10-14 days, then moving it to a secondary if you want and then adding the additional hops for aroma etc. you can even dry hop in the primary as many do.

Just follow the instructions that come with the kit. no need to spend money on another kit when you have one at home already waiting to be brewed.

It's not about cheaper beer, It's about making better beer.

On Tap: American Pale Ale
On Tap: Hopbursted Pale Ale
On Tap: Cascade SMaSH
On Tap: Hallerstyle IPA
Primary #1: Altbier
Primary #2: Bavarian Weizen
Primary #3: Glaxy SMaSH 1 Gal
Primary #4: Nugget SMaSH 1Gal

Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Psycotte
Psychotic Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 263

If you havn't already noticed you'll get conflicting but equally prescient advice here on this forum. I don't disagree with T29 but I don't agree either. For me it was about my personal comfort level. I wanted to get my process down a little before moving on to an intermediate or advanced type style. I figured keeping the variables down at first would allow me to understand the process better. I'm still learning and I use this forum to learn all sorts of things. Go with your gut and have fun with it!

Primary #1: Turn the Paige Apfelwein
Primary #2: Brutally Brown Ale
Primary #3: Empty and Sad...
Next Up: Thinking....

Untappd: Psycotte
My Untappd brewery
Psychotic Brewing Co.
Brewer's Friend Profile: Curt Cicotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMeDuffMan

You can never be wrong in hating the cowgirls.
Ever.
T29 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6597

One thing -- do NOT depend on airlock activity as an indication of the fermentation being complete. Use a hydrometer and wait about 14 days then take a reading every day and only after you have 2-3 consecutive days of identical readings should you consider it "done." Then you can rack and dry-hop if you want.
Happy brewing!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsman View Post
One thing -- do NOT depend on airlock activity as an indication of the fermentation being complete. Use a hydrometer and wait about 14 days then take a reading every day and only after you have 2-3 consecutive days of identical readings should you consider it "done." Then you can rack and dry-hop if you want.
Happy brewing!
This, dont follow the kit instructions when it comes to when to bottle. At least most kits tell you to bottle after as little as 7 days which is just ridiculous, bottling has nothing to do with time and everything to do with having a stable gravity reading that's low enough to be reasonable for a few days.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!
T29 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Doools
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah after browsing around the forums the past couple of hours the one thing that I've learned is to definitely not rely on the airlock for anything. The kit came with a hydrometer so I plan on taking plenty of readings. I think I'm going to rundown to the local home brew shop grab another packet of yeast and dive into this tomorrow, updates to follow thanks guys.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
T29
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I think one packet of yeast is plenty for the brew you have. I'm doing a 5 Gallon batch American IPa and im just using 1 packet of Safale 05. it's plenty.

Keep us updated and let us know how it turns out

It's not about cheaper beer, It's about making better beer.

On Tap: American Pale Ale
On Tap: Hopbursted Pale Ale
On Tap: Cascade SMaSH
On Tap: Hallerstyle IPA
Primary #1: Altbier
Primary #2: Bavarian Weizen
Primary #3: Glaxy SMaSH 1 Gal
Primary #4: Nugget SMaSH 1Gal

Psycotte Likes This 

Quick Reply