Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First attempt at batch priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
syst3mfailur3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First attempt at batch priming

I am going to be bottling in a bit, and figured I would give batch priming a try. I am using a Wilko's Light Golden Lager kit I picked up in the UK, and the instructions say 1/2 tsp per pint, which works out to about 100grams altogether. I feel like that is a bit low, as my last batch was a Coopers Lager, and with the carbonation drops it worked out to 200grams.

I tried one of the calculators, and using European lager it said 166grams, so should I go with that? Or should I go with something else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
johnheather125
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If your batch is 5gal I would go with 5oz corn sugar works out to be about a cup

Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
E_Marquez
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnheather125 View Post
If your batch is 5gal I would go with 5oz corn sugar works out to be about a cup
Thats what I have been doing mostly..
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
That gets you a bit more specific

Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
syst3mfailur3
Recipes 

Thanks. Think I got the right amount in. Now just waiting on the sediment to settle, as I only have the one bucket.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by syst3mfailur3 View Post
Thanks. Think I got the right amount in. Now just waiting on the sediment to settle, as I only have the one bucket.
This is confusing. You should be bottling immediately after adding priming sugar.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_one_seven View Post
This is confusing. You should be bottling immediately after adding priming sugar.
Hmmm... yes. You should rack onto the sugar in the bottling bucket and leave the trub and sediment behind in the fermentor. If some gets in, no big deal. (A little bit will *always* get in.) Just bottle anyway. Maybe your last bottle will have a lot of sediment in it. That's okay. Just mark it some how as the trubby bottle.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 109 Posts

Quote:
Oh, wait. you mean you added priming sugar directly into the fermenter?

Ooh, not a good idea in general because of the sediment and difficulty in mixing the sugar. I did that once during a particularly awful bottling day. It'll be okay but you beer will have more sediment than it should. But you should continue with carb tabs or sugar directly into bottles until you get an actual bottling bucket.

The beer I did tastes fine (I was really lucky and had no oxidation) but I need to pour it through a strainer as each bottle has nearly 1/2 of silt on the bottom.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
syst3mfailur3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post

Hmmm... yes. You should rack onto the sugar in the bottling bucket and leave the trub and sediment behind in the fermentor. If some gets in, no big deal. (A little bit will *always* get in.) Just bottle anyway. Maybe your last bottle will have a lot of sediment in it. That's okay. Just mark it some how as the trubby bottle.
I was following what it said in John Palmer's How to Brew guide. It said if you only had the one bucket, add the sugar water, stir gently, and wait for any sediment to settle.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 681 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
I was following what it said in John Palmer's How to Brew guide. It said if you only had the one bucket, add the sugar water, stir gently, and wait for any sediment to settle.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html
That would be in the bottling bucket and the wait would be only, IMO 5 - 10 minutes at the most. I don't wait and by the time I finish bottling what would settle is already at the bottom.

I suppose that if you are bottling straight from primary you could stir in the sugar solution then siphon VERY carefully. If you don't have one I suggest you get a bottling bucket.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #10
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

If you wait for more than 10-15 minutes, the yeast will start eating that added sugar. The CO2 they produce prior to bottling will simply escape. Please get a bottling bucket for the next time.

If you have a Lowes store nearby, they have food-grade 5-gallon white plastic buckets and lids in the paint dept. They are very inexpensive. Add an Italian spigot and you are good to go. If you're not into DIY, buy an already-built bucket at the brew store.

Also, when using a priming calculator, measure the sugar by weight, not volume. It's much more accurate.

Quick Reply