Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First all grain recipe, am I doing this wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
danielbt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Caraaroma is a good to use to get a nice red color, and it's much darker than Carared, so you don't need to use as much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
MistFM
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I am bumping this. I brewed today and I have a question for everyone. Beersmith has my calculated OG at 1.062, but when I measured it it was closer to 1.058 (hard to see with foam, but I think that is perfectly close). So what exactly happened? Was my mash tun not efficient as beer smith calculated? This beer is going to be hoppy, I think. I seriously can't wait until it's ready.

Sporting Kansas City 'til I die!

American Outlaws Soccer Supporter's Group: www.theamericanoutlaws.com

Free Beer Movement: www.thefreebeermovement.com

Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistFM
So I am bumping this. I brewed today and I have a question for everyone. Beersmith has my calculated OG at 1.062, but when I measured it it was closer to 1.058 (hard to see with foam, but I think that is perfectly close). So what exactly happened? Was my mash tun not efficient as beer smith calculated? This beer is going to be hoppy, I think. I seriously can't wait until it's ready.
What happened is your efficiency wasn't what you assumed or your volume was off. But seriously, that is close enough and very good for a first try. Read up on efficiency but no need to push it, just aim for predictability.

Quick Reply