Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First All Grain Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Ailstock
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Default First All Grain Experience

So I just did my first all grain brew this weekend.
The beer turned out great os I think, haha.
This is the recipe I did: Experimental IPA

As the recipe states, the OG is supposed to be 1.071, but what I actually got was 1.090.
My question is, is that a bad thing? Do I want my FG to be lower or higher then predicted FG according to the recipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Well, the link brings up a blank page for me??

As for wanting the FG to be lower or higher, you want it to be wherever it ends up. You don't have much say in that unless you do something to stop the yeast.

If your OG was that much higher, I can think of four things that could cause it.
1) Improper reading. The temperature of the wort for example can cause an incorrect reading. You can correct for it though if you track the temperature.
2) Your final volume was lower than the recipe calls for. Most likely most the time.
3) Your efficiency was higher than the person who posted the recipe.
4) Measured a base malt wrong or substituted for something else that brought the gravity up.

That's a pretty high OG. You might need to let that one age a bit to be at it's best.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply