Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First all-grain brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
postal_penguin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I consistently got 65% efficiency with my BIAB set-up. Make sure you are stirring the grains well after adding them, when you add the grains to the water rather than water to the grains doughballs form that remain pretty dry through the whole process unless you break them up.

Primary: Apfelwein, Raspberry Lambic, Experimental Wheat cider, IPA
Secondary: Empty
Keg 1: Hefe
Keg 2: Irish Stout
Keg 3: Peach Kolsch
Keg 4: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Chocolate Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I did 5 gallons for the mash, then used the extra 2.25 gallons to sparge. That left me with my 6.25 (ish) gallons to boil.

I did end up with a bit more volume than expected, though. I'm sitting around 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. I probably should bump my volumes down by 0.25 - 0.5 gallons.

My sparge water was around 170. I didn't dunk sparge very long, though. It was less than 1 min. I think that was a mistake. I think I'll use the full volume next time and just squeeze the bag after mash out.

I also stirred up the grains pretty well initially. I made sure there was no doughballs.

My thermometer is also the floating kind, so it sat pretty low in the pot. The heat on the bottom may be an issue. I'll remove it from heat next time and wrap a blanket around it.

I didn't check for conversion, either. I didn't have any iodine (I'm not sure if io-star has enough iodine in it to work).

Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
postal_penguin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post

I didn't check for conversion, either. I didn't have any iodine (I'm not sure if io-star has enough iodine in it to work).
Io-star has plenty to do the test. Only need about a drop or two in a tablespoon of wort.

Primary: Apfelwein, Raspberry Lambic, Experimental Wheat cider, IPA
Secondary: Empty
Keg 1: Hefe
Keg 2: Irish Stout
Keg 3: Peach Kolsch
Keg 4: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Chocolate Stout

Quick Reply