Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First All Grain Batch!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
lordmorphous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First All Grain Batch!

I made the jump to all grain after doing 4 extract batches. I made Jamil's Blonde Ale that I found in the recipe section. I hit 1.047 for an OG which gave me a brewhouse efficiency of about 78%. I was pretty happy with that. 4 days later, my brew is sitting at 1.010 and is a beautiful golden straw color and smells wonderful. This is the lightest colored beer I've made to date. I'm going back and forth on whether to rack to secondary to help clear it up or not. I understand its not really necessary, but I just love the process; plus it allows me to actually see my brew since I have it in a bucket now. I really can't wait to get this thing bottled and carbed so I can see how it has turned out.

To anyone thinking about going all grain. The process seems a little complex and intimidating, but once you get going on the first batch all the pieces just seem to fall together. When I finished, I sat there thinking "That wasn't so bad after all."

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 21

good job. I did my first yesterday but i only got 64%. So ya did good

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
SoxFan33
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

@Lordmorphous, about how long did it take for you to complete the process on brew day? Also good job on the efficiency!

A friend and I have done a few all grain batches so far and I feel like it takes less time each time we do it because were getting better at it. Looking over the notes from that day we started the mash at 2:56pm and didn't finish up everything until 7:05pm, that didn't include setup/clean up time either.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
timewasted
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Congrats! I just moved to AG myself, after about 8 batches. I couldn't be happier. It's worth the extra effort and time. I also found it much more rewarding.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
46binder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice! I'm looking forward to do my first all grain. I have a pumpkin to brew then need to find a nice easy AG recipe.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
lordmorphous
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan33 View Post
@Lordmorphous, about how long did it take for you to complete the process on brew day? Also good job on the efficiency!

A friend and I have done a few all grain batches so far and I feel like it takes less time each time we do it because were getting better at it. Looking over the notes from that day we started the mash at 2:56pm and didn't finish up everything until 7:05pm, that didn't include setup/clean up time either.
I'm must guessing that it took about 6 hours from the time the first water went on the burner, until the yeast went into the wort. Give or take a little...

Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorphous View Post
I'm must guessing that it took about 6 hours from the time the first water went on the burner, until the yeast went into the wort. Give or take a little...
LOL I have brewed 16 AG batches so far, and you're already a 1/2 hour faster then me! How long did you mash for? I tend to do long mashes myself. I could probably speed things up, but I enjoy the relaxed pace of mashing as compared to the clockwatching of the boil.

Congrats. I really enjoy AG brewing. I'm sure you will too.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
lordmorphous
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I mashed for one hour and let the sparge water sit for about ten minutes

Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
lewishowardm3
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

This thread has given me a bit more confidence in doing all grain or at least partial extract. My next batch will be a partial so I can get used to the grains and stuff. I'm looking forward to doing this. Just gotta wait till I get my latest brew out my wort so I can crack on.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
lordmorphous
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You won't regret it!

Quick Reply