Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First alcoholic Ginger Beer attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
broomee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First alcoholic Ginger Beer attempt

Hi Guys, Ive had my first ginger beer kit in the fermenter now for 8 days. Its been bubbling away nicely and have taken a couple of gravity readings. Yesterday it read 1.004 and today 1.002. It started out at 1.024 so looking forward to a slightly alcoholic brew. Even though the readings are low and my hydrometer says its ok to bottle should I still wait since the reading is still dropping. I want it to be nice and fizzy but not explosive. Couldnt find to many others brewing ginger beer on here so hopefully someone out there may have some advice. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

you need to wait until you get the same gravity reading for at least 3 days in a row.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
broomee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for that. So same theory as for normal beer then i guess. It was just the low readings gave me a little hope for bottling today. My only other and first ever brew never got lower than 1.014 so was quite excitted to see a normal finishing gravity level. Cheers

Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What's the recipe?

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 10-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomee View Post
Thanks for that. So same theory as for normal beer then i guess. It was just the low readings gave me a little hope for bottling today. My only other and first ever brew never got lower than 1.014 so was quite excitted to see a normal finishing gravity level. Cheers
No problem. The rules are sort of the same, you want to make sure the yeast have had plenty of time to do their thing in any fermentation.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
broomee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The recipe is simple. One Coopers Ginger Beer Kit with 1.2kg's of sugar added and about 12g of yeast in 20 litres of water. Im looking forward to being more adventurous in the future and creating a mix of my own.

Quick Reply