Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First AG from scratch help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Boston85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First AG from scratch help

I had posted this in the recipe section but got no bite, so figured this section has a few more people looking at it. I am trying to make a clone of a beer a friend had from Market Street Brewery in NY. The website lists the OG, IBU, Alc/Vol and 6 malts used, so I threw everything into beer smith to try and come up with something. The beer is listed by the company as a British Dark Ale, but according to reviews online it is more like a Porter/Robust Porter, which is the style I am basing it on. Below is the recipe I have come up with so far.

9.0# UK 2 Row
1.5# Victory
.50# C-20
.15# Black
.15# Chocolate
.15# Roasted

1 oz Goldings for 60 minutes, then .75 oz at 30 minutes
.5 oz Fuggles at 5 minutes

I have only done 1 AG batch, which was Wort's pale ale. All of my other extracts have been based on pre-set recipes as well. This is my first attempt at creating one myself. What does everyone think of the recipe above? Should I increase any of the grains? Switch some hops? Add more/Less? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If you're going for the porter, you might want to lose the 5 minute hop addition. Otherwise, it certainly looks yummy.

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 04-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Boston85
Recipes 

Thanks Vuarra, I will drop the late hop addition. Also when I put it in Beer smith it was showing a color around 23 SRM which looked very dark on beer smith, but when I pulled up a color chart online it looked much lighter. I was thinking of bumping up the chocolate to .25# and also subbing in C40 rather than C20. This shows the color going to around 26/27 which seems more in line with a Porter. You think that will have any major adverse effects on my current recipe?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The BJCP guidelines show 22 - 35 SRM. So either way is within style, if that matters.

I would darken the crystal before adding too much chocalate malt, I dunno. Maybe because I like crystal malts in dark beer. My advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Anyway, for many of the clones I read about here, the authors describe going through many batches trying to dial it in. I'm sure you will enjoy the journey!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
mc_eric
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The recipe looks good, with or without the changes you're talking about. 1/4 pound of chocolate malt won't be too much, that's still only about 1/2 a pound of roasted malts in total.

Quick Reply