New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First AG Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Schlomo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First AG Fermentation

So i brewed the two hearted clone floating around on the forums, and everything turned out great except my efficiency was pretty bad, 65%, but it was my first AG on a new eBIAB rig so i'll still chalk this one up to a win.

Anyway, it has been fermenting away VERY rapidly and formed a very nice krausen yesterday, mind you i brewed this 2 days ago, and i looked at it today and it was completely done fermenting and the krausen had fallen back down.

Is it normal for that to happen so quickly? I've brewed a few extract batches in the past and most have tapered off over a 2-3 day span.

Im not worried about it, more just trying to learn as much as i can so i can make better beer. I love AG though, and i feel like it opened up a huge door for making my own recipes and experimenting with flavors.

EDIT:: Forgot to mention I ferment at around 70 because that's the best i can do in my apartment. The two hearted is in my swamp cooler so it is probably sitting at 67 or so in the carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 55

If the fermentation temperature could be 4-10 degrees warmer than the air. (4-10 are the numbers I have heard, but before I used a swamp cooler I measured about 6 degrees) So given the high fermentation temperature the speed of fermentation makes sense. You are likely going to have a fair amount of ester production and DMS flavors. You might want to let it sit on the yeast cake for at least a week to clean that up. Taste will tell.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 11-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Schlomo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The temp 67is with the prob on the Carboy and insulated. Water temp is much lower so I'm thinking that the 67 should be pretty close to the temp inside the Carboy so my temps shouldn't be too high for many esters to arise

"Keep Calm and Brew On!"

"May I wish your fermenters stay full, clean and sanitary, your taps wet and your bar stools heavy!" - Jaybird

Quick Reply