Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First AG Batch - mash out or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
bizmark23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First AG Batch - mash out or not?

Alright... So Im making the jump to AG and have a question about "mashing out". Im using a cooler for my mash tun and had planned on fly-sparging. If I "mash out" how would I raise the temp to 170deg?

I have seen some say to sparge w/water at a higher temp... say like 190deg. Ive seen others say not to bother at all w/mashing out.

Apologize in advance if this seems like a basic question, just trying to make sure Im not missing something.

Thanks and CHEERS!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The higher temp is for batch sparging, for the nuances of fly sparging someone else will need to chime in as I always batch sparge.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't think I've ever done an "official" mashout. I batch sparge, and the water is usually at about 170 but I know the grain doesn't get that high.

I'm posting here so someone can tell me I'm doing it wrong!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 09-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1124 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

For fly sparging a mash out is a good idea. For batch sparging, sparging with 180-190f water will do the same thing, but fly sparging takes much longer and the mash out denatures the enzymes and locks in your fermentability profile. If the enzymes aren't halted by the mash out you could wind up with a drier beer than intended.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
I don't think I've ever done an "official" mashout. I batch sparge, and the water is usually at about 170 but I know the grain doesn't get that high.

I'm posting here so someone can tell me I'm doing it wrong!
You're doing it wrong.

HAahahhaa, OK, so besides the previously stated denaturing, you should also be able to lauter the wort more efficiently, increasing your extraction efficiency, thus decreasing the amount of malt you use by gaining the most sugars from the mash, etc, etc. . . .

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
bizmark23
Recipes 

Ok, first THANK YOU for the replies! Great to know I can get help this quick... makes my first AG batch a little less nerve racking.

My main concern was raising the temp in a plastic cooler... obviously I cant fire it. After playing w/beersmith a little I found the answer to my question.

Thanks again... big help from all.

CHEERS!

Quick Reply