HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First 5 gal brew tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
JScott02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 20

Default First 5 gal brew tonight

Tonight was my first 5 gal brew! I had started out with a Mr. Beer kit, and after the first batch found this website. Shortly after that, I gathered enough stuff to make some of Ed Wort's Apfelwein...man is that awesome. Anyways, finally had the free time to brew up my Shiner Bock clone tonight and learned some things about my set up. The first and most important thing was that my kitchen stove, even though it's gas, will barely get 2.5 gal. of water to a rolling boil. A couple months ago, I was given a turkey fryer set up so my brewing will be done with that from now on I guess. Other than that, nothing majorly bad happened, the apartment smells great, and she's in the bucket for the next 14 days.

Just wanted to brag cause I'm excited to get my first "big" batch under my belt. Thanks to all for this amazing treasure trove of info!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
imprez25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

congrats! I just started the beginning of May and I'm looking forward to my 4th brew. This is a great hobby and is very addicting.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
onelin
Recipes 

It's exciting, isn't it? I have my first batch fermenting now too.

I noticed the same problem w/ my gas stove - I'll either have to boil less or get a different setup going for the next batch...

Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
WenValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congratulations on your brew. Please post information as your batch progresses. It's like bringing a child into the world...

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-28-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
ottobrew
Recipes 

Welcome to our great addiction, wait, I mean hobby....Yeah, hobby.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
basfords
Recipes 

Congrates!

I just tasted my first batch. Great success! I think so anyway. It is addicting.

Waiting is the hard part. But about 4 weeks later opening that first battle, hearing the release of pressure, pouring your own brew into a glass, seeing the color and smelling the flavor, watching the tiny bubbles rise to the top, anticipating the taste, and hoping it tastes good... tasting it and liking it makes it all worth the wait.

I am 40 years old, but I feel like a kid again with some new toy. I am so addicted.

Sean

Brew for the love of brewing

Old 06-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Beard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well done! Just got into the hobby not too long ago myself. Man it's great to brew your own!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #8
jsbiral
Recipes 

Congrats! I made my first batch in February and was able to enjoy it around St. Patty's day. I'm on my third batch now. Very addictive hobby indeed.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
philhead1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gratz guys, and to sum up everyone's thought in the forums " It is a very addictive hobby" , only been doing it for a year now and on batch 12 now, should be bottling it in about a week. I learn something new on everybatch. First thing I do when i get home from work I have to go check and see if the bubbles are still rolling or or do a gravity check. good luck on the rest of your brews

WHY BEER DRINKER GO TO HEAVEN

He who drinks beer sleeps well
He who sleeps well does not sin
He who does not sin goes to heaven

Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
JScott02
Recipes 

Likes Given: 20

Just a quick update. Still no signs of fermentation. I know why though. I'm lazy, and didn't make a starter and just pitched the White Labs right into the bucket. Not worried, and took today off work to RDWHAHB

Quick Reply