The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First 10 Gallon Batch - One question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
goofiefoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First 10 Gallon Batch - One question

What is the easiest way to accurately divide a 10 gallon batch between 2 fermenting buckets out of our 15 gallon brew pot?

We're doing another batch of our first attempt - AHB West Coast Pale Ale - and want to double the mini-mash recipe. Sounds like all other processes should be exactly the same as a 5 gallon batch, except for this.

Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fill bucket 1 to 5 gallons. STOP.
Fill bucket 2 to 5 gallons. STOP.
10 gallons in two buckets.

Don't mean to be a smarta$$, just not sure what it is your really asking.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great recipe.

Fill up a gallon jug with water, dump into fermenter, repeat four times. Put tape or use a permanent marker to put a line at the 5 gallon mark. Duplicate the mark on the other fermenter.

That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
goofiefoot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Heck, be a smartass all you want - it's part of being a brewer, right?

Sorry I wasn't clear and I'm sure it's as obvious as it sounds. We're doing a mini mash, so our final boiled wort won't equal 10 gallons - more like 4-5, then we'll fill the rest with "clean" water in the fermentor. I want to make sure both buckets end up the same gravity, etc. and wanted to make sure there wasn't some ingenius way to pour 40+lbs of liquid quickly and evenly into a container. Our fermenting buckets have volume indicators on the side, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Since you have a big pot, I would just add your top up water to 10 gallons in the brew pot, and then divide evenly between the fermenters. If your pot has a spigot you can just use a sanitized hose to transfer, otherwise you can siphon out the wort since the pot will be too heavy to lift (I use the siphon method).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply