Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Finishing hop bags (tea bag style) any good?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 363
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Finishing hop bags (tea bag style) any good?

Hello,
I picked up a kit can of BlackRock East India Pale Ale for my second home brew batch. I also got a packet of Brewcraft Beer Enhancer English Bitter No.70 to add instead of sugar.

Ideally I'd like to get a flavourful beer out of it so I was thinking of adding some additional hops and maybe not using the full amount of water (like maybe 18 litres instead of 23). I want to keep it as simple as possible so the Brewcraft hop bags that you just steep in a cup of boiling water seem ideal. (http://shop.brewcraft.net/BrewcraftN...Finishing+Hops) Are these worthwhile? Any recommendations for hop variety to use with IPA?

By the way, when I was picking up the beer enhancer I was looking for some type of enhancer that would work with an IPA but didn't see any ale varieties so I reckoned the English bitter would be close enough. Should it be suitable?

Cheers,
Aidan

__________________

Last edited by aidan; 12-09-2010 at 11:32 PM.
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,100
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Hmmm I can't seem to open your link. I personally love your Rakau as well as NZ Cascade in an IPA. My American favorite would probably be Centenial for IPA

__________________
JonK331 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 363
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Hmmm I can't seem to open your link.
I've edited and fixed that link now. Thanks for your recommendations on hop varieties. Any take on the tea bag hops product?
__________________
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
dvdanny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 213
Default

I see nothing wrong with using those, they are convenient but like carbing tabs may not be a very effective use of money when compared to just buying hop pellets and a reusable hop sack.

__________________

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

dvdanny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 363
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdanny View Post
I see nothing wrong with using those, they are convenient but like carbing tabs may not be a very effective use of money when compared to just buying hop pellets and a reusable hop sack.
I'm a noob but from what I understand you need to boil the extract to use the hop pellets - or am I wrong? It's an ezy no boil kit so I'm not planning on boiling it up - can I still use pellets?
__________________
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
dvdanny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan View Post
I'm a noob but from what I understand you need to boil the extract to use the hop pellets - or am I wrong? It's an ezy no boil kit so I'm not planning on boiling it up - can I still use pellets?
seems like those hop bags are used for finishing, meaning you add them at either flame out or a few minutes before (like 5mins). In your case because it is a no boil kit you can either add the hops to the warmed wort (you'll still have to heat the water to dissolve the extract) or add it after a week of fermentation as a dry hop. I am assuming your kit uses pre-hopped LME or DME. In that case using the finishing bags for either finishing or dry hopping would be ok if you want more hop flavor/aroma.
__________________

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

dvdanny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 363
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdanny View Post
seems like those hop bags are used for finishing, meaning you add them at either flame out or a few minutes before (like 5mins). In your case because it is a no boil kit you can either add the hops to the warmed wort (you'll still have to heat the water to dissolve the extract) or add it after a week of fermentation as a dry hop. I am assuming your kit uses pre-hopped LME or DME. In that case using the finishing bags for either finishing or dry hopping would be ok if you want more hop flavor/aroma.
I believe the usage instructions are to steep them in a mug of boiled water for 15 mins and then add the liquid and bag into the fermenter with the wort. Can the pellets be used effectively without boiling the wort? i.e. like soaking/boiling them in water?
__________________
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
dvdanny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 213
Default

Yea thats fine, that's the "hop tea" process that a few members on this board of used to increase hop flavor/bitterness in IPA's after they have finished fermenting. If that's an IPA kit, I would also suggest dry hopping to give more hop aroma.

__________________

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

dvdanny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 363
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdanny View Post
Yea thats fine, that's the "hop tea" process that a few members on this board of used to increase hop flavor/bitterness in IPA's after they have finished fermenting. If that's an IPA kit, I would also suggest dry hopping to give more hop aroma.
So for dry hopping would I just add some hop tea to the fermenter after the week and let it set for another week or 2? (I will just be doing single stage then bottling) Oh and can you also dry hop with pellets?
__________________
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #10
dvdanny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan View Post
So for dry hopping would I just add some hop tea to the fermenter after the week and let it set for another week or 2? (I will just be doing single stage then bottling) Oh and can you also dry hop with pellets?

for dry hopping i wouldn't even make a hope tea, just throw the hops directly into the fermenter 7 days before bottling.
__________________

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

dvdanny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help finding Grolsch style bottles for a good price Lazlo_Hollyfeld Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 11-02-2012 03:59 PM
why is my beer not finishing? chemman14 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 10-09-2009 06:03 PM
Grain Bags / Muslin Bags? HOP-HEAD Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 02-03-2009 08:02 PM
No finishing hops? joe6pack Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 10-23-2008 07:38 PM
Finishing my first boil sloppyjoe Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 03-13-2007 12:49 PM