The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Finally, I'm a brewer too!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Default Finally, I'm a brewer too!

Im sure everyone is sick of hearing about people's first brew, but I'm damn excited! I've been thinking about trying this for years and my mother in law got me a Brewers Best kit for xmass (she rocks). My step daughter got me the European Bock starter kit (she rocks too).

I have been dreaming about brewing beer about 5 nights out of 7 since xmass. I have logged probably 25 hours reading this AWESOME website (and a few others). My mind has been totally consumed.

Even after reading every post I could, once I started tonight I felt (feel) like I have no idea what the hell I am doing but for whatever reason there is a little dude on my shoulder with a beer in his hand saying RDWHAHB!!!!!!

A few things didnt go well, but I will post questions later... I just LOVED the experience! Im sure the beer will be fine.

Attached a few pics (I think?). My first boil, my first boil over (haha!), the way-too-slow ice bath and the primary all ready to bubble away!

My last funny thought as I was pitching the yeast was "god I hope everyone else talks to the packet of yeast like this!" (I may or may not have told them to enjoy their time in the bucket and work hard for me!)

Im hooked. Totally hooked.

imag0333.jpg   imag0334.jpg   imag0339.jpg   imag0340.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

I LOVE the boil over pictures. That's awesome. My first (and second, and third, and so on) boilovers were on my kitchen stove which really weren't deserving of pictures. I'm still hearing it, many years later.

Anyway, welcome to the obsession, er, hobby, and let us know how we can help!

Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
cracked1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nah, I don't think most of the people here really get tired of hearing about first brews. Especially when 99% of the first timers are so excited. I can clearly remember how excited I was with my first. Really, I still get that way almost every time I brew, "Woohoo!! I'm making beer!".

Welcome!

I was going to change my signature but I ran out of clever.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 416

I couldnt resist taking a picture of it! It happened exactly as I have read in some other posts: The second I got tired of watching the pot because it had not done a darn thing forever, I go inside to pour a been and, Whoooosh, there it goes!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
dstamper441
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Congratulations! Now you have to learn to leave it alone for 3-4 weeks without worrying. (It took me a while!) It helps when you have 2,3,4 batches in different stages at the same time.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
VCR
Recipes 

I second the nice boil over shot. And again with me I keep my boil overs on the stove. Wife just loves the smell LOL.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Welcome to the group! And you can admit it; that isn't a boil over. You were really, REALLY excited to be homebrewing!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
BUCKEYE1303
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked1 View Post
Nah, I don't think most of the people here really get tired of hearing about first brews. Especially when 99% of the first timers are so excited. I can clearly remember how excited I was with my first. Really, I still get that way almost every time I brew, "Woohoo!! I'm making beer!".

Welcome!

I just made my first real non Mr. Beer brew this past Sunday after my parents were nice enough to buy me the five gallon setup with the Brewers Best Oktoberfest. I think I said "Woohoo, I'm making beer" as well. Love this new obsession, er.. hobby. I spend waaayyy too much time on this site, Midwest, Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew and reading the COmplete Joy of Homebrewing. I feel ya man. Cant wait to make some sort of IPA next. Any suggestions????

Up Next: Black IPA
Primary: Empty
Secondary: sadly empty
Conditioning/Bottled: Oktoberfest
In Fridge: Yuengling/Sam Adams

Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Honestly, reading about 'first brews' is always cool! I usually get pretty stoked the night before brewday. I love shopping for beer supplies more than I do for food, clothes or anything else! I can sit for hours tinkering with homebrewing software, lists of ingredients and reading about different methods. It is ridiculous how much time I spend on this board and telling myself, "I can do that!", or "I can build that!" I love it when I read that somebody is instantly hooked into this hobby. I love this hobby...

Welcome to the addiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
NWMOBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

first brew stories are like stories of how someone looses their virginity. they never get old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
my recomendation: Have an understanding SWMBO

Quick Reply