Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Finally Drinking My First Homebrew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
smyrnaquince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Finally Drinking My First Homebrew!

Well, I'm sitting on the back porch enjoying the satisfaction of drinking my first homebrew, a hefeweizen. I split the first 22 oz bottle with my wife. It tasted so good, I had to open another one. Nice banana aroma, not too clove-y. I usually am a one (12 oz bottle of beer kind of guy, but this was good and the satisfaction of having brewed it myself added to the pleasure.)

The only thing that went wrong is that it is a bit under-carbonated. I tried letting the flow from the primary into the bottling bucket mix the sugar water (3/4 cup corn sugar in 2 cups boiled water) and I think I got inconsistent carbonation results. The second bottle had more carbonation than the first. Next time, I will stir the bottling bucket.

I now know to add most of the extract at 15 minutes before flameout. All the extract was in the brewpot for the full 60 minutes, so the beer is darker than one would expect for a hefeweizen.

There is very little yeast in the bottle, which surprised me. Not quite sure what happened there. I used WLP300.

The beer spent two weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the bottle. OG = 1.044. FG = 1.013. ABV = 4.07%.

Truth be told, this is the second beer I made, but the first I've drunk. The first one is a stout that I brewed a week before the hefeweizen. 3 weeks in the primary, bottled on the same weekend (3 weeks ago) as the hefeweizen. I am waiting for the cool fall weather to open this one, which will also give it a little time to age.

Anyway, I am happy and I wanted to say thank you for all the help I've received on homebrewtalk.com.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrnaquince View Post
Well, I'm sitting on the back porch enjoying the satisfaction of drinking my first homebrew, a hefeweizen. I split the first 22 oz bottle with my wife. It tasted so good, I had to open another one. Nice banana aroma, not too clove-y. I usually am a one (12 oz bottle of beer kind of guy, but this was good and the satisfaction of having brewed it myself added to the pleasure.)

The only thing that went wrong is that it is a bit under-carbonated. I tried letting the flow from the primary into the bottling bucket mix the sugar water (3/4 cup corn sugar in 2 cups boiled water) and I think I got inconsistent carbonation results. The second bottle had more carbonation than the first. Next time, I will stir the bottling bucket.

I now know to add most of the extract at 15 minutes before flameout. All the extract was in the brewpot for the full 60 minutes, so the beer is darker than one would expect for a hefeweizen.

There is very little yeast in the bottle, which surprised me. Not quite sure what happened there. I used WLP300.

The beer spent two weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the bottle. OG = 1.044. FG = 1.013. ABV = 4.07%.

Truth be told, this is the second beer I made, but the first I've drunk. The first one is a stout that I brewed a week before the hefeweizen. 3 weeks in the primary, bottled on the same weekend (3 weeks ago) as the hefeweizen. I am waiting for the cool fall weather to open this one, which will also give it a little time to age.

Anyway, I am happy and I wanted to say thank you for all the help I've received on homebrewtalk.com.

Congrats!!! Welcome to your new addiction err i mean hobby ya hobby!

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
BrewForMe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It's only been a couple of months since I cracked open my fisrt homebrew, I know the feeling of satisfaction and the desire for a second bottle. Congrats on a batch well done

Old 06-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
headbanger
Fast Loud Death
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

Good job!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Congrats!! What a great feeling, huh?! Sitting outside on a sumner night, drinking not just a beer, but YOUR beer!! Nothin' better IMHO.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1856 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

Yup! It don't git no better'n that. http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s.../PICT00034.jpg
My wife's 1st,a Belgian wit clone in the shade recently. It cleared a lot as well,this one got a lil trub in the glass. I dubbed it her "krystallwit".

Old 06-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
ETOHonboard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That looks like a mighty tasty beer uniondr.
And to the op, its all down hill from here. Congrats!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1856 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

Yeah,it is purty. I thought the op might wanna see that others have had these wheat beers come out clear. But still pretty good. Hers gets better every time we crack some on weekends. Those o2 caps really do make a difference. Should be grand on the 4th. We've been saving a couple of cases of her Krystallwit,& my Sunset Gold ale. Should go good with 3 slabs of Memphis style ribs,tater salad,pasta salad,cheesecake...oooh yeeeaaah!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
nunyafnb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Congrats man! It's always 1000x more enjoyable when the cold one you wind down with after a long day is one you have made. Welcom to the first of many of these moments, and may each first bottle/glass of every batch you make give you the same satisfaction!

Cheers!

-J.P.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
-Mitch Hedberg

Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
EROK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Nice job! Hefe's go down the fastest at my house also. Seems to be a leak in my keg. Lol !

Chuck Norris is the only person to ever beat Andre the Giant in a drinking contest. And he did it by a two case margin.

Quick Reply