New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Finally....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Mossbergmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Finally....

the nerves are gone . I brewed my first batch today. its a honey wheat beer (and also the best damn smell i have ever had the privelage of smelling) the nerves went away pretty quickly once i started doing it. everything went very smoothly. the only minor problem i had was once i got everything done and in the fermenter i was a little short of my 5 gallon mark. i just topped it off with a little water. put my yeast in and now its in the fermenter.. i realised after starting that, even if i make a few mistakes its ok,, the beer is still gonna be good.

My original gravity was 1.054. since this kit has no mention of what it should be i just took it that it was ok. i even tasted the sample i pulled out.. sweet but damn good.

plus without using a IC i got it down to 75 degrees in about 25 minutes so i was happy with that.

anyways, just thought i would share.. thanks for letting me ramble.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
captainjay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like you had a pretty good brewing session there.

You got the temperature down in a good amount of time - this was the hardest thing I found starting out. My first batch took an hour, but even then it still turned out pretty good.

The best advice I can give you now is to hold on to a few bottles of this batch as long as you can - you will be impressed by how it will age over several months. Plus it is great to compare it with your next batches!

Enjoy!
Jay

Old 01-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Mossbergmike
Recipes 

yeah,, i knew without an IC it was gonna be hard.. so i just filled my bathtub with water and put 5 bags of ice in there. not as cost effective.. but got the job done until i get one.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
captainjay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossbergmike View Post
yeah,, i knew without an IC it was gonna be hard.. so i just filled my bathtub with water and put 5 bags of ice in there. not as cost effective.. but got the job done until i get one.
Here in Toronto I'm having an easier time this month... I've been using the snowbank on the deck as my cooler! Works well.

My tan, on the other hand...
Jay

Old 01-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Mossbergmike
Recipes 

wow... 5 and a half hours since i brewed and ive already got some action in my airlock.. this is exciting. lol

Old 01-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats on a successful first brew!
I do have to admit I get a kick out of reading some of the mishaps, and horrible tales of woe that accompany some "first brew" days, but I don't wish for anyone to make bad beer.

Next thing you'll be sniffing the airlock.

Don't lie, you probably already have. ;')

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
Mossbergmike
Recipes 

i sniffed the airlock after the first couple of hours...

i really only had one mishap with not accounting for how much water would evaporate. other than that it went really smooth

The fact that i started firmenting in less that six hours really tickled my pickle. from what ive heard that is actually pretty fast.. so im now considering my first brew a success.....so far.. the true test will come tho

Old 01-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
newbeerpig
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like you made it over the hurtle, that first batch is hell, like a new born, Not sure if everything is right and what you will end up with but it sounds like you are good to go especially given the activity in your fermentation. Quick advice, don't freak if it stops bubbling, just wait it out and measure away when you think it is done.

Congrats again!

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Quick Reply