The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Final Hop Addition and Counterflow Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
PorterHouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Final Hop Addition and Counterflow Chiller

Sorry if this has been asked before and I am repeating a previous question. I looked and couldn't find the answer. I brewed an Amarillo Pale Ale which called for a one ounce Amarillo hop addition at flame out. After I added the hops I hooked up my counterflow chiller and started cooling the wort while it drained. I am afraid that the hops were not allowed to sit in the wort long enough. After transferring to the secondary I dry hopped with another ounce of Amarillo (which was not called for in the recipe) to try to make up for the short time the wort was exposed to the final hop addition. Should I have added the final hops with say 5 minutes to go on the boil or is adding them when I did and chilling immediately the way to go? The beer has another week to dry hop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
pstrohs
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I usually leave my flame out additions in the wort for about 15 minutes before I start chilling with my CFC.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

Old 12-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Thehopguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Theres a whole debate on this subject, read up

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-...itions-213803/

On Deck: Double IPA, GTBT V3
Primary: GTBT APA
Bottled: GTBT V2, GTBT V1, Black IPA, Centennial IPA, Pumpkin Ale, Badboy IPA, Simarillo APA

Quick Reply