Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Final Gravity seems a little high after a couple weeks.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
middleofnowhere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Final Gravity seems a little high after a couple weeks.

Okay, I brewed my Stout almost two full weeks ago, It is still in primary and been kept at a steady 21-22 degrees celcius. Which I figured wasn't too bad.

My original gravity was low at 1.045 it was expected to be 1.057, and I figured out the cause of that. (I used Imperial Gallons instead of US Gallons) I also figured I messed up along the way. I followed the instructions to a t...but maybe I did something wrong.

So I was planning on racking to the secondary last week, but I had to go away to a funeral, and figured the extra week in primary would be good anyway.

So I got back in town yesterday and checked the gravity and it was at 1.014, which is pretty high. I am going to check it again tomorrow to see if it is still moving or if it has stopped.

Should I rack to the secondary with the final gravity so high? Should I try to get the fermentation started again?

I used Safale S-04 Yeast and the morebeer Sout extract kit. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Darren

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

1.014 is perfectly fine for a stout. You're at 68% apparent attenuation right now. That's reasonably ok for that yeast, which has a 70-75% attenuation rate. You're close. It could just be done. There are a ton of factors that will effect this (including the type of extract used) and really, I am sure it'll be good. If your numbers are stuck at 1.014 go ahead and move it.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
middleofnowhere
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sweet....I will rack it, wait three weeks, then bottle it and wait three more weeks, then drink it and let you know how it tastes!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is just an observation that I see with all these hydrometer reading problems...is anyone taking temp readings and readjusting their hydrometer numbers, or are they just taking hydrometer readings and thinking that's what the FG is?

I know I take temp readings first.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
middleofnowhere
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did adjust for temperatures.

Quick Reply