New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Final Gravity from Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 05:57 AM   #1
shamukaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Final Gravity from Recipe?

Here goes... I forgot to take OG reading... I have my recipe, and my Specific gravity is currently at 1.016-18.. (its a wheat ale) ... can anyone tell me, with regards to my ingredients, does my gravity reading sound "finished"? ... it has been fermenting now for 3 weeks....

here is the recipe: 5 gal batch

1 lb caravienne malt
3 lbs weizen dry malt
3 lbs muntons light extract
2 oz amarillo
2 oz amarillo (dry hopped)
muntons dry yeast

pitched at 75 degrees
primary - 5 days
secondary two weeks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd say your done, based on your recipe and time fermenting. If you want to take another sample shake it a bit,(you sample could be saturated with a bit of CO2. let it sit on the counter for 20 min. The hydrometer are corrected at 60F I think, so try to get your sample at that temp after it sits out for a while. I dont like using the correction factors at differant temps, but thats just me. Afte the time its been fermenting I dont think your gonna get much more out of your yeast, unless you were fermenting cold.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I have used muntons dry yeast and that ferments better than all the liquid strains I've used. Usually, when I make a batch similar to yours, about 3 weeks is sufficient for both primary and secondary. As Dark_Ale stated, go with the hydrometer for sure.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

99% chance it is done. Check it again today & if it is the same, time to bottle.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
shamukaiser
Recipes 

Default checked the FG... abou the same

checked the FG again today, about the same, 1.016-18..... I'm ready to bottle,,, but before I do... is that reading too high? 1.016-18? ... a little nervous... but the reading has remained the same for the last 5-7 days....

thanks

Quick Reply