Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Final gravity reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
bklebel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Final gravity reading

So this morning I transfered to a secondary. I tried to take a final gravity reading but didn't know how to get around the floating crap on the top (krause?) I tried pushing some to the side to dip a measuring cup but that didn't work. What is the best way to take a final gravity reading without disturbing it? I also broke my hydrometer in the process

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It may be easier to take the sample from the secondary. I use a turkey baster for this. If the krausen was still floating you may have racked too soon.

- magno

Old 05-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If your transfering to secondary fill a cup or something then drop the hose in your carboy. That way you dont run the chance of takeing a sample and contaminating anything. Just figure out how much you need to take your reading, let it sit out for a bit and you might want to shake it if its nice and cool it might have some suspended co2 in the brew that will throw your reading off. Taste it and throw the sample away

Old 05-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 94

whats a hydrometer. Just kidding. I use a hydrometer jar from B3 (MT 330) and take the first runnings from my transfer hose. it does two things, gets anything out of the hose ( no that there is ever anything) and removes any air so not to be transfered to secondary. then I let the jar sit in the keggorator untill @ 60 deg F by that time it has cleared and any trub will have droped out of suspention. But you will need a way to stop the transfer without loosing the prime for that I use a siphon clamp also from B3 (R 400). My transfers and readings are usually fairly smooth.
hope that helps
Cheers
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 05-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
bklebel
Recipes 

its been 6 days in the primary and there wasn't any action in the airlock so I thought it was done fermenting. hopefully it's ok.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but this follows the same theme.

Racked to bottling bucket with priming sugar in bucket, but forgot to take gravity reading before hand. Took a reading with priming sugar in it anyway. Any idea how much this will throw off the reading?

Old 05-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

5 ounces of corn sugar is just under a third of a pound (1lb = 16 oz).

So, that's .31 pounds of corn sugar. According to BeerSmith, that adds .003 to your Gravity.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Toot. Thanks for that. Makes me feel good. I messed up a little and had an OG of 1.036. After one week in the primary it kept fermenting in the secondary, so I left it there for over another three weeks. I got a reading of 1.008 (temp adj) with the priming sugar. Is it possible that it could have gone as low as 1.005? And I thought this would be a real low abv beer . . . .

Quick Reply