Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Final Gravity Miss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
melmaro
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Final Gravity Miss

I'm doing my second all grain batch, a New World Porter Clone. It's a 5 gallon batch, but I ended up with about 5.5 gallons. OG was 1.065 which was very close to my aim (1.067). First time with liquid yeast and I failed to burst the smack pack. I went ahead and pitched anyway. Took 24 hours, but fermentation was out of control for few days and bubbling in airlock just ended two days ago after a week and a half of fermentation. So, I racked to secondary and added dry hops but the gravity was only 1.022 and I was aiming for about 1.017, I have about 5.5% ABV now and was shooting for 6.5%. Anyway, is there a way to keep the fermentation going, should I add more yeast, what may have gone wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Hefanatic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Final gravity is an estimate. Also, taking it off the yeast cake may not have been the best idea considering it may have still been fermenting. Hopefully you have enough yeast in suspension to finish the process, otherwise 1.022 might be the final gravity for this batch. Was there still krausen on top when you racked to secondary?

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”- Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
speeddemon11L
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you take multiple gravity readings before racking to the secondary? If you only took the one reading, there is no way to tell if the fermentation was actually complete. Granted, a week and a half is a long time, but depending on conditions it might not have been done fermenting.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

I wait till the 2 week mark to take a 1st FG reading. Notice I said first. That's just going to tell you where you are,& how far you need to go to projected FG. One reading isn't enough,they must be consistent.
I've had beers take 4 weeks,with 1 week dry hop,to get to Fg,DH,& settle out nice. You need patience when brewing,a brewer's #1 attribute!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
melmaro
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I got a little impatient and didn't take several readings. The yeast is my first liquid form and all the others (dry yeasts) were done when the airlock stopped bubbling. I have taken several readings in the past. Anyway, I got some yeast over into the secondary when I racked it, so I'll just wait and see how it goes. the bit I tested tasted great, so it'll be drinkable anyway.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
VillageBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There is no need to rush a porter! I left mine in the main for a month before bottleing. Don't worry. Just let it sit and you will still have a very tasty beer.

Quick Reply