Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Final Gravity: Am I close enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
Cheesy_Goodness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Yup, I lowered it so the bottom was in the beer then gave it a good spin as I dropped it completely in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
IvanTheTerribrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

Some ideas for you: try to take a temp reading of your sample at the same time you check gravity. Even if you take into account what the ambient temp is, doesn't mean that's the temp of your sample and also your equipment may absorb or give off heat depending on their temp. (Ex you just took them both out of a cold sanitizing solution)

Second, when you so have your sample, cover the opening of it and shake it to cause it to foam. Do this a few times and let is settle out. This way you are forcing carbonation out of your sample.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1954 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1447

I just let it sit with the hydrometer in it for a couple minutes to degass a little. Then spin the hydrometer to take the reading.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Those both make complete sense. I thought as soon as I dropped in the hydrometer it should be reading what it is, didn't account for temp or carbonation at all. Hopefully that's the difference
Thanks!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

I ended up bottling this weekend. I took the advice on this thread and got my sample to a steady temp by putting it in the refrigerator to get a temp reading (the candy thermometer I've been using only goes down to 100F. Next item on my list). I stirred it around to degas and took a reading and the FG was exactly where it needed to be.

Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply