Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Final Gravity after 8 days?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
DemonIAm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Final Gravity after 8 days?

So I brewed 2 Sundays ago, and all went pretty well. My OG was supposed to be 1.046, and I hit 1.050. Today, I had to move the carboy, as the temp in the back bathroom was a little high (73-75*). While moving it, I decided to thief out a bit and check the gravity.

Much to my surprise, the gravity is sitting on 1.010, which is the exact number that the recipe called for. I tasted it, and it has the flavor of the original beer, maybe a little bit of alcohol note on the end. Nevertheless, it's still good.

Should I start thinking about bottling it, or sit on it for another week, or longer? The airlock is bubbling about once every 16 seconds, so something is still a-happening.

Also, the temps shot up unexpectedly today, and the beer was reading 75* when I came home. I've got it down to 72* now, and it'll probably drop tonight. I should be good, right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If there are still bubbles then you shouldn't bottle, fermentation still going, could spell bottle bombs. If you take a reading in 2 days and it is the same value then fermentation is done. And even then, best to let it sit for a week or so to clear and condition a bit before bottling so you get a better taste.

You should be fine for temps. Give the brew some more time to settle out.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
SKMO
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have it timed to 16 seconds.... you need to chill, you're getting too anal.

Forget whatever the recipes and "directions" said.

When it seems to get clear and slow after a week or so let it go another week minimum then bottle. Better yet let it go 2-3 weeks.

It will be good beer, just let it be.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 743 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Just because the beer isn't bubbling doesn't mean the ferment is over, just that the easy stuff is done. Leaving it longer allows the yeast time to go on to the harder compounds and break them down too. I've been leaving mine for 3 weeks in the primary fermenter and I like the results. If I had a bit more patience, I'd leave it for 4 or 5 weeks.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I am not disagreeing with the folks who said to let it for a while.
I certainly don't want to kick that hornets nest.
But yea fermentation can be done in 8 days.
You have 80% attenuation it probably won't go much lower.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

most of my ferments are done in by 8 days, but let is sit for atleast 3 weeks, the yeast will clean up the beer, more yeast will drop so it will be clearer, and you'll be happier with the outcome in the long run.

second, bubbling doesn't mean there is still fermenting, it just means there is gas coming out of the bucket/carboy. with the higher temps, the gas in the fermenter is expanding and pushing out the airlock and its likely your beer is releasing some co2 that was in solution.

Josh

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Old 03-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #7
DemonIAm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have not seen "active fermentation" since I last posted. The gravity is sitting at 1.012 right now. There's an odd tinge, that I don't remember last time almost like a vodka aftertaste (and no, I didn't dump the airlock into the carboy). We did have a night where the carboy temp dropped to 64* Otherwise, it tastes good. I'm thinking I should let it sit till Saturday, to give it a full 3 weeks fermentation. Maybe longer?

Old 03-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am a firn believe of the 3 weeks before bottling; gives the best flavor than anything shorter. For the aftertaste, it is most likely that it is just young and needs to mellow out. I would say it is good to bottle up Saturday, then give it some time to condition and carb up. In another 3 weeks from Saturday it should be just fine.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #9
NorthRiverS
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Don't rush it. . . . . . make sure fermentation is finished by hydrometer readings. Then relax and be comfortable in going ahead with bottling. My last beer sat in the primary for four weeks before it was ready........

NRS

Old 03-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #10
TTB-J
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In beer hell, there are no hydrometers. All fermentation is measured by airlocks. And it's too hot for even belgians.

Cowboy up and bottle that bad boy - 3 weeks is plenty of time. If you leave it in for a month you're just showing off.

Quick Reply