Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Filtering the sediment during bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
raveskdr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
Bullka
Recipes 

I use my bottling bucket just for bottling. You don't have to use it as your secondary. Just siphon your beer from your primary fermentation bucket into the sanitized bottling bucket. Clean out the primary, sanitize it and then siphon back to it.
After the secondary fermentation is done siphon back to the bottling bucket and add your sanitized priming sugar, stir gently to combine and fill bottles.
This will help a lot of your sedimentation issues by siphoning the beer off the top each time and leaving the sediment behind.
If you use the bottling bucket as your secondary and the sediment is higher than the spout, you will suck it in and possibly some left over hops.
With this process there should be no real need to filter.
And don't worry about having enough yeast for carbonation, there will be plenty suspended in the beer. Just try and suck up as little of the sediment as possible when siphoning. Sometimes this requires leaving a 1/2" of beer on top of the sediment. Just count it as a loss.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
eagle83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
No filtering, it will oxidize your beer! Just rack over top the trub.
will it really oxidize the beer? I mean how would it pull in oxygen if it is under the surface of the beer? I love me some hops, but after hearing people talk about dry hopping too long, I thought it would be better to filter the hops out when bottling, and bought some extra bags. If it is really going to oxidize I will do without, because I am sure that little bit of hops isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle83 View Post
will it really oxidize the beer? I mean how would it pull in oxygen if it is under the surface of the beer? I love me some hops, but after hearing people talk about dry hopping too long, I thought it would be better to filter the hops out when bottling, and bought some extra bags. If it is really going to oxidize I will do without, because I am sure that little bit of hops isn't going to make that much of a difference.
yes it will really oxidize your beer, just in the same way of when you rack from your brew kettle into your primary, most people rack into one of those funnels with the mesh screen filter inside, because you WANT to oxigenate your beer in that step, to help along primary fermentation. after fermentation though, you don't want to oxigenate your beer.

like other said, it's really easy to not get hops, trub, etc. in your beers if you just take a few simple steps, like make sure your beer sits undisturbed for a bit before you start to transfer into your bottling bucket or keg, keep your racking cane up above the trub, leaving behind a bit of the beer if you have to, to avoid sucking up trub. and also like it was said, if you dry hopped, or are overly worried, you can put something like a wire mesh screen, or a hop bag, etc. on the bottom of your racking cane to help filter out a bit, and most racking canes that are the self siphoning kind have a "plug" that goes on the bottom of it to help keep out chunks anyways.

my bar build

Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If that's the case he could probably use gelatin, and let it sit for a day or so before bottling.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
eagle83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawbrewing View Post
a hop bag, etc. on the bottom of your racking cane to help filter out a bit, and most racking canes that are the self siphoning kind have a "plug" that goes on the bottom of it to help keep out chunks anyways.
This is what I was planning on doing. I guess yall are saying it will oxygenate it if you put a bag over the spigot on the mr. beer kit. So bag on racking cane=no oxygenation. good deal.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #17
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

That would work.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #18
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

woah, woah, woah..... People are talking and not reading.

There were two separate things talked about here. The OP was about sediment, filtering, and Mr. Beer. We all agree that there should be no filtering, just be careful when bottling and avoid as much sediment as possible.

Then, he asked what a bottling bucket was.

THEN someone else jumped in (raveskdr) with a question about the beer currently in in a fermenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveskdr
I will have my beer in the secondary bucket soon, and it has the standard spigot on the side. I am brewing a Belgian IPA, so there will be a lot of hoppy sediment along with the yeast.
Addressing that now...

I am assuming you have a two-bucket brewery? Do both of your buckets have spigots on them? If only one has a spigot, you kind of used the gear in a weird order.

You want your spigotted bucket to be empty at the start of bottling day. If you are just doing primary fermentation and bottling, you ferment in the plain bucket and then transfer into the bottling bucket (avoiding the sediment in the fermenter) when you are ready to bottle it.

If you are doing two-stage fermentation with that same equipment, you would probably want to do the primary fermentation in the bucket with the spigot, then transfer into the plain bucket for a secondary. Then on bottling day you transfer back into the spigotted bucket.

If I understand what you have going on right now, you are about to rack your beer into that spigotted bucket and let it sit for a while again before bottling? That might be a problem because before you bottle you are going to have to mix sugar into the beer. Any sediment on the bottom when you bottle is going to be kicked right back into the beer.

I personally would not do a secondary if I were you. I would just let it sit in the primary until you are ready to bottle it and then transfer it into that spigotted bucket.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #19
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 17

+1 on what Walker said. Save the bottling bucket (bucket with spigot) for bottling. Siphon gently into it with your bottling sugar and then use the spigot to bottle. If you use the spigot to rack out of, you don't have much control over getting sediment or not, and trying to bottle out of your secondary just makes it a pain trying to mix in your bottling sugar without stirring up the yeast.

Oh, and I couldn't resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
The beer does need yeats to carbonate in the bottles,

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 AM   #20
bdleedahl
Recipes 

if you're too lazy to read and wanna watch a pretty good documentary, start here...

... i know they talk about the beechwood aging process a little bit, its 5 parts on youtube

Quick Reply