Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Filtering to Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Svenhook
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Default Filtering to Secondary

So I did my first partial mash recently. It is currently in my primary fermenter. I took a gravity reading after about a week and I noticed it is extremely cloudy. Once the fermentation is done, i am going to dry hop it in a secondary fermenter and I was wondering if there is a goody way to filter the wort is. I will be using an auto-siphon so I was thinking maybe wrapping some coffee filters around it or maybe some system with a strainer or something. Anyone have experience with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
JLW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No need to filter. Let the beer sit in primary for up to 3 or 4 weeks (depends on the OG). Hogh gravity beers you can let sit in primary longer. The longer primary will alow the yeast to clean up after themselves and allow the trub to compact. When you are ready to transfer make sure you keep the siphon up off of the trub on the bottom of the bucket. You may need to leave just a wee bit of beer in the bottom to keep from sucking up the trub into the siphon and into the secondary.

After you dry hop you may want to filter into the bottling bucket or the keg. I use the cheap mesh hop bag and a rubber band to hold it onto the siphon. make sure you sanitize both.

What you don't want to do is to filter as the beer is pouring into the next vessel as that will introduct O2 into the beer and that will give you a bad taste.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 11-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Svenhook
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips. The hop bag is a good idea. Ill give that a shot!

Quick Reply