Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Filtering out hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
noisy123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Filtering out hops

My LHBS carries mainly pellet hops. I plan on upgrading to full boils and using a CFC to do the cooling. My system would be gravity fed. Would I need to use a hop-stopper of some sort? Should I use a hop-bag? Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Use a hop bag, especially for pelletts, its the easiest and most efficient.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
Use a hop bag, especially for pelletts, its the easiest and most efficient.
So I must use a hop bag or my CFC will likely clog?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
FSBrewer
Recipes 

I hope I'm not violating some protocol by adding my related question to this thread. I also used hop pellets in my last brew, and because of their milled nature they were clogging up my strainer totally, and not allowing the wort to flow through as I was putting it in the carboy. I was using the plastic snap-in filter that came with the funnel and I should have changed to the metal mesh strainer from the kitchen, but instead I just pulled out the plastic strainer and let it all go into the carboy.

What kind of impact does this have on the final product? It's a doppelbock fermenting at about 66 F at the moment. Been in there 3.5 days now.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I use a hop bag all the time, just make sure it is tied good. I have not had any problems when using one.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #6
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSBrewer View Post
I hope I'm not violating some protocol by adding my related question to this thread. I also used hop pellets in my last brew, and because of their milled nature they were clogging up my strainer totally, and not allowing the wort to flow through as I was putting it in the carboy. I was using the plastic snap-in filter that came with the funnel and I should have changed to the metal mesh strainer from the kitchen, but instead I just pulled out the plastic strainer and let it all go into the carboy.

What kind of impact does this have on the final product? It's a doppelbock fermenting at about 66 F at the moment. Been in there 3.5 days now.
not much, most of it will settle into the cake, especially if you cold crash it. rack carefully to a secondary for a week if you really cant stand a few pieces of hop in your teeth.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Or not. You can dump and leave the hops in the fermenter with no worries. They will settle out and will not hurt your beer in any way.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Cugel
Recipes 

Don't try to get 100% of the contents of your brewpot into the fermenter. I usually leave 1/4 gallon or so in the brewpot

Either siphon (with one of those autosiphons with the cap on the business end) or pour very slowly to minimize hops and trub in your fermenter.

What gets into your fermenter will settle out anyway, evne if looks awful initially.

Good luck!

Relax, don't worry etc. and so on.

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
FSBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
What gets into your fermenter will settle out anyway, evne if looks awful initially.
Will this be a problem if I want to wash and save my yeast for a future brew?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
RobbyBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSBrewer View Post
I was using the plastic snap-in filter that came with the funnel and I should have changed to the metal mesh strainer from the kitchen, but instead I just pulled out the plastic strainer and let it all go into the carboy.
I pulled a similar maneuver on my batch last night. I felt fairly comfortable pouring most of the hop gunk in, since a good number of brewers seem to think it all settles out and it's all good. On the other hand, there seems to be more disagreement over this subject than almost any other...and that's a lot, because homebrewers disagree about everything. Some folks are using hop bags and siphoning to primary with a filter over their tubing...others are just going bombs away and dumping it all in the carboy. What gives? I'm not sure my question is really going anywhere. Maybe I just want to be reassured that my batch will be ok, because there's already a crazy amount of crud on the bottom.

Quick Reply