Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > filtering method

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
bushmanj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default filtering method

does anyone filter their beer from fermentor into bottling bucket? i tried a small piece of muslin bag first on the end of the cane and then on the end of the siphon tube. both resulted in a stuck siphon and it looked to be introducing some air into the beer. i am only trying to keep some of the small floating pieces of grain and such out of my bottling bucket because the last couple bottles in the batch seem to have floaties. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
thebamaking
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i would highly highly reccomend getting an auto-siphon they are cheap and are built so that no particles get through the siphon, and if they do they will settle on the bottom of the bottle and not be a problem in the long run.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I ferment in the usualy buckets with a spigot on the side. Before bottling I quickly open the spigot all the way and draw off about 8oz to clear trub from the spigot. I use this sample for testing my final gravity so it does not go to waste and after letting the sample sit for 10-15 minutes go ahead and drink the beer (it is a sin to waste home brew). Then I drain into my bottling bucket. After purging the spigot I get very little trub into the bottling bucket. Then I let the bottling bucket sit still while I sanitize my bottles and during that time whatever trub made it through has settled to the bottom and all my bottles come out trub free from the first to the last (unless you tip the bucket to squeeze the last bottle out of a batch in which case you should write a "T" on the cap).

Old 10-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Nylon knee-hi on the bottling bucket end. Fine mesh and lots of volume.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
bushmanj
Recipes 

you never end up with a stuck siphon david? i had one layer of muslin over the bucket end and it wasnt flowing for ****

Old 10-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

All of my fermenters have spigots. Find a fine mesh tea ball and poke a hole in one side for the siphon.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Bonnevillain
Recipes 

I've used a fine mesh nylon bag over my auto siphon when I've dry hopped. Haven't had it stick yet.

Quick Reply