Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Filtering Hops Before Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
rancineb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

We just take the boil pot and put it in ice with a wort chiller. We don't have a separate chill pot. I'll definitely try the coffee filter approach and see how it goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
Ultra-Medic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my two batches I haven't bothered filtering into the primary. I auto siphoned my first batch three weeks ago into my bottling bucket w/ a dip tube & my beers had no visible sediment except for the last one. Dip tube FTW.

I've read on here that cheese cloths make wonderful filters. Will try it on my next batch I think. Coffee filters seem small & laborious to me.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

A coffee filter is not small or laborous...it is the smallest mesh setting you can get out of any material (gold filters will allow a little more)...simply place the coffee filter in a strainer and your ready to go with an easily movable filter...

Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

No-chill baby! I just dump the whole shootin' match into the cube at flame-out, let it sit for a few days (or weeks, or months), then siphon the nice clear wort into the FV when it's time to pitch some yeasties.

nurture my pig

Old 12-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
iskeptici
Recipes 

Bumping an old thread for the benefit of Google users...

If you want to keep hop or other sediment out of the bottle, you can put the end of your siphon tube into a sanitized mesh bag before inserting into the carboy. I find that it tends to leave a little beer behind, but it allows a single vessel fermentation even with massive amounts of hop debris (I'm a bit insane with my hop additions).

Quick Reply