Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Filtering beer from primary to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsFlyShop View Post
Well, afer listening to many experienced brewers, I will not be filtering this Brown Ale, I'll syphon the beer off of the trub into a secondary after a week or so in my garage, calculate the priming sugar and bottle 4 gal. instead of 5...cut my losses. I learned the importance of patience and proper equipment. Grain and hop bags from now on.
are you actually going to give up a fill gallon of beer in order to avoid the trub?

no way i would ever do that. i would get every drop i could out of primary, and then worry about the trub in secondary later.

but there is no chance i would ever give up 20% of my beer

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 321

If you are doing pale and brown ales what in the world is the secondary for? Just leave everything in the primary for 3 weeks, siphon to bottling bucket AFTER priming sugar has been added to bucket. Let your beer sit at room temp (approx 70*) for 3 weeks and the trub in the bottles should settle into a fairly stable mass. Chill to drinking temps for 2 or 3 days then pour slowly and watch for the yeast on the bottom to begin to move toward your glass and then STOP pouring. Important thing is NOT move the bottles around a lot as this loosens up the yeast on the bottom. Transporting in a car in a cooler will do that.
Relax have a cold one. :-)

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Wai`anae Summer Ale
(N.English Brown)
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer:

sweetcell Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #23
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshomebrewing View Post
are you actually going to give up a fill gallon of beer in order to avoid the trub?

no way i would ever do that. i would get every drop i could out of primary, and then worry about the trub in secondary later.

There's no reason you need to leave that much beer in the fermenter. In my experience you might need to leave 6 or 8 oz. in order to avoid sucking up a bunch of junk, but no more than that. Please, whatever you do, don't throw away a gallon of perfectly good beer just so the rest is a little clearer!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 273

do a cold crash and there will be no need to leave more than half a bottle behind.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #25
MattsFlyShop
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshomebrewing

I had 4" of grain in there that got past my strainer, I had considered re-straining it but didn't want to cause too much disturbance and risk oxidation, however that lesson is behind me and the mistakes in grain handling overcome. Truth be told I think more important lessons are about to show themselves as I believe that batch is infected due to the burnt rubber taste it had at bottling.

Quick Reply