Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Filtering beer from primary to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
NRbrewguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Filtering beer from primary to secondary

Hey All,
I know the topic of filtering yeast has been discussed... mostly by BMC drinkers saying "ew, there's yeast in here."

By using a food-grade nylon screen (I'm not sure of the mesh size) at the end of my siphon tube in between primary/secondary/bottling, would I be filtering trub while letting the live yeast through? My beers never really clarify properly during bottle conditioning. I'd like to get them a little clearer without sacrificing quality.

So what do you think, will this hurt my beer or help it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You can use the screen if you want. However, if you are having a hard time clarifying, that is the quick fix and not the answer. If you want to remove haze from your beer, you have to filter pretty fine, I think down to 1 or 5 microns...

Why don't you tell us your process first and we can try to tell you where to improve it so as to help your beer clarity.

Tell us about:

1. Your boil, what kettle, how long, extract, how you are adding it, anything else, how vigorous of a boil

2. Your cooling method, how long does it take

3. How much and what type of yeast are you pitching

4. what is your fermentation schedule, temps, length, measurements

5. anything else you can think of.

Cheers, and welcome to the board

Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

You siphon to the secondary right?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to HBT!

I've never had more than just a light dusting of yeast on the bottom of bottles; sometimes less than commercial beers. I would also be curious about your process that causes your beer not to clear and sediment on the bottom.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
MattsFlyShop
Recipes 

I have 4 to 5 inches of ? at the bottom of my fermenter, some of it is a little grain that made it past my grain strainer, and then remained in the boil, then made it's way into the fermenter... I'm sure a lot of that is yeast as well, but how do I filter past this during transfer to my Secondary(carboy)?

img_0798.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is why I don't see much use in a valve in the primary. Just get a autosiphon and start it high in the liquid, moving it slowly down as the volume drops until you are just above the trub. Then stop and accept your losses.

The result will be good, clean beer. If you bottle condition you are still going to get yeast in the bottle, there is simply no solution to that. Your other option is to keg, carb, then bottle from the keg with a bottling gun/counter pressure bottle filler. Then you can get yeast/trub free bottles.

But if you are kegging, the need for bottles is pretty low.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Leave your beer in primary longer. The level of trub in your picture isn't unusual for a beer that's been in the fermenter for about a week. If you leave it in your primary for another week or two the trub will compact down quite a lot and more yeast will fall out of your beer. Gravity works the same whether your beer is in primary or secondary. A low-flocculating yeast will take longer to drop out. You can help it a little with gelatin and cold crashing.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
MattsFlyShop
Recipes 

Thanks guys! So I'll let it sit for another week and pull out what I can, if I wind up w/4 gal, I'll need to prime with a full gallon to make up the 5 gal balance before I bottle? Or bottle what I have and prime with only a few cups?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsFlyShop
Thanks guys! So I'll let it sit for another week and pull out what I can, if I wind up w/4 gal, I'll need to prime with a full gallon to make up the 5 gal balance before I bottle? Or bottle what I have and prime with only a few cups?
You might think about cold crashing. Make some room in the fridge and park your fermenter in there for a few days.

Also, be careful about your transfer from the kettle to the fermenter. 4" seems like a lot to me - is there a chance you had some trub migrate from the kettle? I usually see 1-2" of trub in the kettle and another 1-2" in the primary (all-grain, btw).

For bottling, I would not add water. Upping water by that much will mess things up. Find a priming calculator and add priming sugar to suit the wort volume, temp, and CO2 level.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

FWIW I normally dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. The trub doesn't hurt your beer, and some argue that the yeast utilize it as nutrients.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Quick Reply