Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Filtering beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
FreshZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Filtering beer

After my last batch foot a good deal of hop particles into the bottle, I want to start filtering my home brew. I bought some 5 gallon paint strainers. My plan was to put the filter bag into my bottling buckets and siphon into that. Pull out the bag (hopefully with hop gunk) and bottle.

I further plan on using these in transferring from pot into primary the same way.

Any problem with these? Is there any reason to not filter after boiling? Are there flavors still coming from the hops/grain pieces in primary? Any better way to filter?

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #2
tryder33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When you do your boil do you just add your hops right to the boil? I got rid of alot of my aggravation with particles by using a muslin bag and dropping my hops in it and it drastically reduced my particles. At .49 cents a bag i grab 10 at a time

Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
cadarnell
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I put a paint strainer bag in my bottling bucket today ... it caught a lot of particals .... I was warned to be sure to keep the end of the hose below the beer though .... you could get a lot of oxygen into the beer if you didn't ..

Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Fletcher21
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

I personally add hops directly to my boil I only use a bag when dry hoping. I know a lot of people on here will suggest not racking to a secondary unless adding additional favors. However it's is one reason I use my secondary by the time I have racked from boil to primary to secondary then a cold crash I have not had any particular matter issues. That's just how I do it though. The fun in brewing is finding your own style.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
Atonk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

+1 on the cold crash mentioned by Fletcher21. Whirlpooling will take care of a lot of sediment from pot to primary, and coldcrashing (in primary or secondary) will drop out most of the rest of the sediment.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

The key is to strain it all out when you're transferring from your kettle to fermenter. I use a stainless kitchen strainer. Bonus is it'll help add oxygen at the same time.

I used to use a hop bag, but I like the thought of the hops floating around the boil all willy-nilly rather than being stuck in a bag. My hops like to get out and party.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
FreshZ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This seems like a dumb question, but if I filter before bottling, will enough yeast still get into the bottles to properly carb?

Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshZ View Post
This seems like a dumb question, but if I filter before bottling, will enough yeast still get into the bottles to properly carb?
Yeast are tiny. 100 billion in the Wyeast packs. I think they will slip through the strainer with ease.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshZ
After my last batch foot a good deal of hop particles into the bottle, I want to start filtering my home brew. I bought some 5 gallon paint strainers. My plan was to put the filter bag into my bottling buckets and siphon into that. Pull out the bag (hopefully with hop gunk) and bottle.

I further plan on using these in transferring from pot into primary the same way.

Any problem with these? Is there any reason to not filter after boiling? Are there flavors still coming from the hops/grain pieces in primary? Any better way to filter?
When racking to your bottling bucket, it might be easier to put the paint strainer over your cane in the fv. That's what I do, but only if there was a dry hop. Otherwise everything is pretty compact at the bottom and doesn't need straining

Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
dbhokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Im with Fletcher, I know a lot of people condemn secondaries, but My beers are always quite clear, the extra rack, and a cold crash do wonders, never have any hop sediment that anyone can notice in the bottle, just a tiny layer of yeast.

Abbey Ale #2
Rye Imperial Pale Ale
Primary
20 Gallons of Apple Cider
Secondary
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
Conditioning (Bottle)
---So Sad

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS