filtering after fermentation is over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartbinga

Reaction score
I have just started into the world of beer and have purchaced a keg outfit just cause I like the concept of having cold beer on tap in my house... :cross:

I also made a batch of wine for my girlfriend and in getting some wine equipment I bought a 3 stage filter system. I was wondering that if after I rac to my secondary fermentor and the sg. has become stable I am just waiting for my beer to clear....can I just filter it into my kegs and carbonate it and drink or should I let it sit and clear on its own??

Depending on the beer you made (what yeast you used) it pretty much clear on it's own. If you chill your batch the yeast will settle out and the beer will start to clear. Filtering it won't hurt, but why put it through more processing than it needs, and raising the chances of infecting the batch. What ever you chose to do, good luck and welcome to the brewing world.

Lots of people filter, though it's not critical. After a couple of weeks the beer will clear very well on its own.

The first batches I made I let it clear on its own...now I have this filter and was wondering if I can hurry it a bit....alas my kegs are empty and bottels I have none... :(

Back