Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > filtered water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
joejaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default filtered water

Is filtered tap water the same as using spring water or does the filtering take too many minerals out? I read that there is too much chlorine in regular tap water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

if you have chlorine in your tap water, it boils off. no need to filter

if you have chloramine in your tap water it doesn't boil off.

However every batch of beer I've ever made was made using alkaline, high bicarbonate, chloramine treated tap water....and my beers taste great.

It matters far far less if you brew extract beers. Grain brewers need to care a little more about their water quality since it affects extraction of sugars in the grain...which was already done to make your can/bag of extract.

in a nutshell: you either don't worry about your water, and consider it an aspect that defines your particular recipes...or you really get into the science of it, and re-create water profiles from around the world.

as far as tap water filters, depends on what type of filter. a Brita filter removes chlorine, some bad chemicals, and off flavors/aromas. An RO/DI filter will strip your water down to basically PURE h2o that doesn't really help your beer out...you'd wanna re-constitute it to contain the right amounts of certain minerals.

if you find the taste of your tap water pleasing without a filter, I would use it for brewing.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks, i really did't want to get too crazy purifing water or buying bottled water

Old 10-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

All I use is PUR filtered tap water...you'll be fine.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
trainfever
Recipes 

You have to be careful buying water today. Most people think they are buying spring water just because it is in a bottle. You have to check the label to see, most bottled water is just municipal or tap water that has been filtered.

I am new to brewing but I've been in the Saltwater Aquarium hobby for years and I have to make my own saltwaterand I need the purest water
I can find. I have an RODI filter which means Reverse Osmosis DeIonized water. You can drink RO water but you can not drink RODI water. An RODI filter removes all minerals which our bodies need to live on. Spring water is healthy because it contains the minerals we need. You may have also heard of distilled water. This is also unhealthy to drink. Distilled water is when water is turned into steam, leaving all minerals behind, and then the steam is cooled and condenses back into water. Hope this helps.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
Gordon and Rhonda
Recipes 

my worry is not with filtering the water but filtering the beerbefore consumption

Quick Reply