Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > To filter hops (after boil) or dump them right in the bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
StarCityBrewMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default To filter hops (after boil) or dump them right in the bucket?

I have always just dumped my wort, hops and all, into the fermenting bucket. I usually do Pale Ales and IPA with anywhere from 3 to 8 ounces of hops including dry hopping.

With that being said I easily lose 1/2 gallon (sometimes a little bit more) to all the trub that settles throughout the course of fermentation.

The loss doesn't bother me much I have just learned to brew beer with more wort but am I getting any off flavors from this practice?

Would filtering the hops from the boil from entering fermentation make for a "cleaner" tasting beer? My beers don't taste bad now but brewing is the art of improving every detail as we all have learned!

Secondary 1: Air
Secondary 2: Air

Bottled: Edworts IPA, Nierra Sevada, Stork Blue Celebration Ale
On Deck: Maroon Effect Amber, Blonde, IPA, APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

The general consensus is to filter the hops out before dumping the wort into the fermenter. If you wanted to see for yourself what the difference is you could brew a 5 gallon batch then split it into two 2.5 gallon fermenters and strain one but not the other. Could be interesting how the flavor and aroma turn out.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always leave them in the primary.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Stimulus
Recipes 

I would say it's preference, but I've seen more people filter them out - either through a strainer or by adding their hop additions in bags.

I use a strainer, because I read somewhere that your utilization can suffer using bags. That may be BS I never really tested it - and the strainer aerates the wort, so bonus there.

The real reason I don't want all that hop crap in there is that I reuse the yeast, and it would be a pain in the ass.

If you're thinking your leaving them in there for more aroma or what have you, I don't know how much you'd be getting because of off-gassing - and you can always dryhop, even just a little, in secondary or after primary fermentation.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
nickrose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I just brewed my first IPA today and was thinking the same thing. I typically just throw my hops in, but was worried if it would make (negative) difference. Happy to hear that everything should be ok.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
dirtysock
Recipes 

Use hops sacks

Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
McGlothan
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i think you should keep dumping it all in and just adjust batch size for loss. It seems like taking out hops that were just added at the end of the boil is kind of a waste. i feel its safe to all go in unless you plan on leaving in primary for a longer than average time. I leave it all behind when going to secondary of course

Quick Reply