New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Filter Hop From Primary Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Ek0nomik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Filter Hop From Primary Fermentation

I am currently brewing my first IPA. I threw in about 6-7oz of hops during the wort boiling, and then I dry hopped 2oz during the primary fermentation (I know secondary is most common, I probably will not do primary again).

My question is, how do I clean up the beer a bit? There is a nice thick layer of hop residue on the top, and after taking a sample of it to check the specific gravity, I could tell it was extremely cloudy. Now, I know it's still early (only fermenting for 3 days, but the fermentation is nearing completion I think), but I was thinking about getting it into a secondary fermenter soon, but I wanted to try and clean it up a bit.

Should I just transfer it to the secondary fermenter without any sort of filtering process? Should I use a cheese cloth to try and filter out some of the hops? Mostly I am looking for filtering suggestions, and the time as to when I should do the filtering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

STOP. Dont touch the beer. Dont open it again unless you want to take a gravity reading. I dont even think about a gravity reading untill after a week after 3 days you know its going to be still fermenting. If you want to rack to secondary in a few weeks thats fine. But I would leave the beer in the closet with a full airlock and leave it for a month.Check to be sure the airlock doesnt go dry once a week.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 76

3 days? are you kidding me???? leave the beer alone!!!!!

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 11-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

The hop residue is sitting in thr Krausen still...it will all fall away in a while...

Relax...and walk away from the fermenter...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The hop residue is sitting in thr Krausen still...it will all fall away in a while...

Relax...and walk away from the fermenter...
We really do this alot dont we?

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3471 Times on 3363 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Seems like a good time for this:

Old 11-30-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
RGH
Recipes 

So I guess 24 hours then into the secondary is a no go. I guess I am a fidgeter... Thats my cross to bear...

end of discussion.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
Ek0nomik
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSabresBrewer View Post
STOP. Dont touch the beer. Dont open it again unless you want to take a gravity reading. I dont even think about a gravity reading untill after a week after 3 days you know its going to be still fermenting. If you want to rack to secondary in a few weeks thats fine. But I would leave the beer in the closet with a full airlock and leave it for a month.Check to be sure the airlock doesnt go dry once a week.
I haven't opened the lid, nor did I say that I had.

So, you are saying leave it in the primary fermenter for at least a total of a week? Then I could move it to the secondary?

Also, nobody answered my question for clearing up hop residue. I know a lot of it will be left behind when I siphon to the secondary, but there is still a lot floating around in the middle (not top or bottom).

Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #9
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Seems like a good time for this:

Can someone fix all these images so that "yeast" is properly pluralized?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
kahunaman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek0nomik View Post
I haven't opened the lid, nor did I say that I had.

So, you are saying leave it in the primary fermenter for at least a total of a week? Then I could move it to the secondary?

Also, nobody answered my question for clearing up hop residue. I know a lot of it will be left behind when I siphon to the secondary, but there is still a lot floating around in the middle (not top or bottom).
Quote:
and after taking a sample of it to check the specific gravity,
If you took a sample, you opened the top right?

Yes. Leave the beer alone. Once you put the top on it, there is no need to do anything with it for at least a week. All the crap you see floating around in there will settle out. If it's still floating around, it means the beer is still working.... so you don't need to sample or anything.

Gravity is only oNE indicator... another is when all of the crap in the Krausen settles out and hits the bottom. That will all mix in with the trub and sit at the bottom. When you siphon to a secondary, the heavy crap will hold the leaves of the hops and all of that crap mostly at the bottom so your siphoned beer will be 75% clearer than what was in the primary. Also remember, you will siphon to ANOTHER vessel (your bottler) and it will leave even more crap behind.

I guess my bigger question in this whole process is - what are you doing with 7 oz of hops? What sort of hops did you pitch at that volume? Just curious.

Quick Reply