Filter with auto-siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
I have a Pale Ale that has been dry-hopping for a while (2weeks) and looking to bottle this weekend. still have hop pellets floating on the top and slowly sinking. i don't have the option of cold-crashing (it was -14F this morning and a high of 9F expected for the week.)

i have an auto-siphon, but am wondering if anyone has a filtering technique for the end of the tube. i don't want to oxidize the beer so the filter would have to be inside the carboy.

Any thoughts?

I would just rack it into a clean carboy. Get it off those hops and allow things to settle out a bit. I wouldn't leave it on dry hops for a third week.

You can put a hop sock/painter strainer bag over the end of you syphon. Worked ok for me.

You can put a hop sock/painter strainer bag over the end of you syphon. Worked ok for me.

+1. I always put the end of my racking cane in a paint strainer bag (the nylon kind, buy 'em at home depot.) Secure it with a rubber band. Keeps the trub out of my bottling bucket, but plenty of yeast passes through to carb in the bottle.

It's below zero and you have no way to cold crash? Does not compute. I mean, I understand you'd be concerned about freezing the beer but even leaving it out on the porch for 2 hours to get it cold would help. Set a timer so you don't forget though.

i thought it would freeze before everything drops. so rather than moving it constantly in and out of the houseit would be better to filter it. moving could potentialy disturb the trub.

NAh, throw it in a snow bank and keep an eye on it. Stuff will start to fall out as soon as the temps drop.

I have a Pale Ale that has been dry-hopping for a while (2weeks) and looking to bottle this weekend. still have hop pellets floating on the top and slowly sinking. i don't have the option of cold-crashing (it was -14F this morning and a high of 9F expected for the week.)

i have an auto-siphon, but am wondering if anyone has a filtering technique for the end of the tube. i don't want to oxidize the beer so the filter would have to be inside the carboy.

Any thoughts?
I bought a 1.125” diameter x 21” long cylindrical stainless steel micron filter from Quirky Homebrew Supply in Denver. It just slips into the glass carboy neck and extends all the way down to the bottom of my 6.5 gal carboy. It works great!

I bought a 1.125” diameter x 21” long cylindrical stainless steel micron filter from Quirky Homebrew Supply in Denver. It just slips into the glass carboy neck and extends all the way down to the bottom of my 6.5 gal carboy. It works great!
Do you have a picture or a link to that filter tube? I can't find it on their site.
How many microns is the screen?

Do you stick your racking cane inside that filter tube?

I've had issues with lots of hop debris making it into the bottling bucket, bottles, and jamming my bottling wand with hoppy beers so far.

What I did on the last one was put my hop screen in the bottom of the bottling bucket and then dropped the end of the siphon all the way to the bottom like normal. It caught all the trub chunks. Still had some very fine stuff get through that mostly settled in the bucket, but I'm sure some got to the bottles. Still much better than prior batches though.

I don't know if this is a "good" approach, but it seems to have helped at least with the mechanics so far.

I've had issues with lots of hop debris making it into the bottling bucket, bottles, and jamming my bottling wand with hoppy beers so far.

What I did on the last one was put my hop screen in the bottom of the bottling bucket and then dropped the end of the siphon all the way to the bottom like normal. It caught all the trub chunks. Still had some very fine stuff get through that mostly settled in the bucket, but I'm sure some got to the bottles. Still much better than prior batches though.

I don't know if this is a "good" approach, but it seems to have helped at least with the mechanics so far.
As long as you don't splash the beer. If you use a fine mesh hop bag tied to the end of the hose inside it, and keep them flat on the bottom, it should be OK.

What kind of "hop screen" are you using?

Do you have a picture or a link to that filter tube? I can't find it on their site.
How many microns is the screen? It’s the same mesh as my hop basket that I use in my boil kettle. The website doesn’t state it. I’m guessing 200 or 300 microns or so. Tom emailed me this afternoon when I wrote that I couldn’t find it on their website either. He said they have 1 in stock, or did when he replied. Even though their website says it is out of stock.

Do you stick your racking cane inside that filter tube?
siphon-filter.png

Auto Siphon Filter SS (3/8″ & 1/2″)
$34.95

Out of stock

SKU: 5389Category: Auto Siphons

I like that mesh tube! Never seen one that narrow and that long.

In a pinch, one can tie a fine mesh hop bag (or a piece of it, or a piece of voile) around the bottom of the siphon. Start siphoning from the middle and lower the cane as the beer level drops. That way you won't clog up the mesh prematurely.

Back