Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fill it to the rim

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Cl17claven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fill it to the rim

After only my 2nd batch I was annoyed with how little wort I got from my partial boil, especially when steeping grains. I would start with about 3.5 to 4 gallons in a five gallon pot (ceramic on steel canning pot) and end up losing over a gallon from evaporation and foaming and absorption in grains.

I bought some Fermcaps (stored in cooler with yeast if you go looking for it) yesterday and our works GREAT! I filled my pot to the rim in anticipation of losing over a gallon like before. No foaming, no boil overs. My finished wort still had 4 gallons left so I only had to top up with a 1 gallon jug off mineral water.

Well worth a few bucks. And now when I go to a bigger pot, I can stick with a cheaper thirty quart versus getting a forty or bigger just to avoid boil overs.

Three cheers for Fermcaps!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
jmprdood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Never used them. Welcome to the board!

If you're stupid, you have to be tough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply