New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > FG woth Krausen? What the french toast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Hefanatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default FG woth Krausen? What the french toast?

I am brewing a Sam Adams clone, which requires a dry hop addition after fermentation slows/stops. I decided to take a gravity reading today and I noticed upon opening the lid I still have 1/2" thick krausen on top. I almost didn't take my gravity, but decided to anyhow. I took it 2 times and both times got 10. The final gravity for this brew should be around 13. So not only am I a little low (not a huge concern in my mind), but I have hit FG. It's hard for me to believe that I have actually hit FG considering there is still krausen, but maybe I am just crazy. Any thoughts? Thanks.

*with (drinking home brew)

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”- Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

sometimes the gunk on top can stick around a little while after fermentation is complete, also maybe you had an aggressive yeast that can eat more sugar than you think. Let it sit a few days and check again. predicted FG is not a magic wall that the beer hits, its more of an idea of what to look for. fermentation is dynamic and a few points here and there are normal as far as fermentation on a small scale goes.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
Hefanatic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
sometimes the gunk on top can stick around a little while after fermentation is complete, also maybe you had an aggressive yeast that can eat more sugar than you think. Let it sit a few days and check again. predicted FG is not a magic wall that the beer hits, its more of an idea of what to look for. fermentation is dynamic and a few points here and there are normal as far as fermentation on a small scale goes.

Yeah, I just have yet to have a batch (save for this one) that had krausen when FG was achieved. Either way, I am gonna let this one sit for a little while longer. Plenty of home brew to drink while it does its thing. I just thought it was a little odd. I was more curious about the krausen, as FG is always an estimate.

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”- Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

probably still a lot of co2 still in the solution even after fermentation is done.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
Mpavlik22
Recipes 

While taking a FG reading is the only way to tell if fermentation is complete, i would leave it in there until most of the Krausen drops.

Quick Reply