FG too high on IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopeJuice

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA about 2 weeks ago and I was trying to pitch yeast cultivated from another beer to ferment with. I used the correct amount of yeast accordng to MrMalty, but it only reached about 65% attenuation. Looking back I'm realizing that a lot of the volume of yeast cells may have been dead already because of how long i let the starter sit out after it stopped bubbling. My question is this- will an IPA that finished at 1.023 be as cloyingly sweet as I'm imagining? it's about 75 ibus so im hoping that will combat some of the residual sugars, but i've never had a beer finish anywhere even remotely close to this high so I'm a little worried.

With 75 IBUs 1.023 will probably be ok. Sweeter than you want maybe, but I'd guess quite drinkable. I've had a number of beers finish close to 1.020 and they're just fine.

I'm still interested in the recipe and OG and everything.

How long did you hold you harvested yeast that made you think they were dead? Did you rouse them in the fermentor at all?

Raise the temp and rouse the yeast. Wait another week. If nothing happens it will still be a drinkable beer, maybe a bit sweet, but should be ok.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1689163

here's the recipe, partial mash and 1.067 OG. Been stuck at 1.023 for about 5 days, I will give it a very gently swirl tonight and see if that helps. I had stepped up the yeast to pitching volume but i was about a week early so i just let it sit in a dark warm place until i needed it, there was no growth or fermentation after this point. Looking back I think I should have popped it in the fridge as soon as it was done growing instead of letting it sit for a week. That's the only explanation i can come up with, we mashed at a steady 155 so i don't think it was too much unfermentable sugar that caused the stalling.

thanks for any help!

pitched about 75mL of thick yeast, should have been more than enough according to MrMalty's pitching from slurry calc

gave it a gentle swirl, hopefully it drops a few more points. bump for any other ideas as to what i did wrong as well.

Back