Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > FG quite high

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
amaurer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default FG quite high

I'm brewing a Williams Red Ale kit... first brew, extract kit.

I opened the fermenter for the first time today, its day 12 - happily everything looks great, no infection, etc.

... but...

My gravity is much higher that I was expecting. The kit says anything under 1.018 is good. The yeast (Wyeast smack pack) said I should expect 1.010.

Mine is at 1.025ish.

Thoughts?

img_0623.jpg   img_0627.jpg   img_0628.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Krazykripple
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Those bubbles mean fermentation probably isn't finished. Wait until you get 3 gravity readings the same each taken on consecutive days

Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Your going to get a lot of opinions on this one. Some will say swirl your fermenter to kick some yeast back into suspension, some will say repitch yeast, and even others will say wait it out, whats been done is done. By done I mean is my guess is you either underpitched yeast, or you didn't have temp control for fermentation. Lots of folks start like this and realize, Hey, with a little more equipment I could brew BETTER beer!
My suggestion is to search the site for stuck fermentation.
And set forth on your journey of buy more and more and more brewing stuff..
Every gadget, tool, and device helps control and tune your system a little better.
Good luck on your searches and maybe some here will chime in too!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

And bubbles don't always mean fermentation, the beer will off gas co2 long after fermentation is complete, and still have some co2 dissolved in it!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 225

This was an extract kit and there is a much talked about, general issue in that very frequently these kits will finish out around 1.020 (+/-) There is really no definitive explanation for it.

You can try and gently swirl the bucket and give it a couple days and take another reading to see if you can eek another couple points out of it or take it for what it is.

The krausen has dropped and the bubbles you see are just come CO2 escaping so most likely it's done.

Also, did you do a temp correction on your hydrometer reading and are you sure it's calibrated? To calibrate read a plain test of water/distilled water.

If this were my beer I would leave it for another week in the primary and give the yeast a chance to clean things up a bit and then bottle/keg.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
amaurer
Recipes 

I swirled and gave it 3 more days... no change.

It tastes alright, I guess. A little bit sweet, but would be drinkable if only it had some bubbles.

Is there any way I can rescue this, or should I just bottle it? Does the fermentation failure change the way I should prime the bottles?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I would pitch more yeast. I have had fermentations stick and I have pitched more yeast with good results.

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
dfaridoni
Recipes 

I had the same thing happen with the batch that's carbonating now. OG was 1.044, FG 1.018. It read the same for five days so I just bottle. It'll be interesting to see how it comes out. It is a Midwest kit, Blackdog Ale.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The problem with adding more yeas is if the sugar is complex it won't make a bit of difference. Some people add the alfa enzyme (that we try to grow at mash temps.) I suppose this converts the remaining complex sugars so simple ones. I don't know if it can survive in the abv you have already acquired, though. A single beno tablet also contains an enzyme that will help convert complex sugars, but I hear this gives EXTREMELY dry beer. Might be better then 1.025 though.
Let us know what you choose and how it works!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
amaurer
Recipes 

****, I was hoping for a bit more certainty from the brewwizards here!

If I add more yeast and the sugar is indeed too complex for it, is there any downside apart from some wasted yeast?

Quick Reply