New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > FG measurement...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
mach9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default FG measurement...???

Alright, someone tell me how far off base I am with this. OG reading was 1.050, current reading which has not changed over the past few days is sitting at 1.024. Estimated final should be around 14. I suspect cooler temps played a part (around 60f). I guess what I'm getting at is what direction should I go now? Thanks in advance for any advice.

On a side note...after about a week, I did move it into a consistent 70 degrees. Held there by a Love controller and ceramic heating bulb. Did drop slightly but now sits consistent at 1.024

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

hmmmm

Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogphish View Post
hmmmm
That's not a useful response, and if you're not going to post a useful response, don't post at all, in my opinion.

You have a few options here... you can move the fermenter to a warmer place and see if it takes off, move it to a warmer place and repitch yeast, or go with it, on how it is.

That FG is too high though, and you will probably end up with an overly sweet beer with a low ABV.

Upto you though!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

there are quite a few variables to consider here. what was the recipe first of all? was it all grain or extract? how long has it been fermenting for? if this is an all grain recipe what did you mash at? mashing too high may give you extra unfermentables. If this was an extract recipe you might be close at 1.024 as most extract brewers find that a lot of there brews end at 1.020 due to carmelization of the extract giving more unfermentables.

How long has it been fermenting? You may just need to move it warmer and give it some more time. Yeast easily go dormant around 60 degrees and sometimes can be a PITA to get back going. I typically dont mess with my beers until they have been fermenting for at least 4 weeks. This give the yeast plenty of time to eat and clean up after themselves plus the added benefit of clearer beer as the yeast cake and trub will be very compact.

we need more info

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 12-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #5
mach9
Recipes 

It is a nut brown using LME with steeped grain. Been fermenting two weeks. was moved into a consistent 70 degrees at about a week. And im confident now the earlier low temps have put me in this bind. When you say warmer are you suggesting higher than 70?

Old 12-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i wouldnt go higher than 70. may want to also give the carboy a gentle swirl to rouse up some of the yeast to help get things going too.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

1.024 may not be that far off, knowing you did an extract recipe. It would help if you could list your complete recipe with steeping temp/time etc.
The 60F may have also helped the yeast to floculate prematurely, leaving some fermentables behind, in which case you could try to gently swirl the fermenter to bring the yeast into suspension + leave it at 70F.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
If this was an extract recipe you might be close at 1.024 as most extract brewers find that a lot of there brews end at 1.020 due to carmelization of the extract giving more unfermentables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilo View Post
1.024 may not be that far off, knowing you did an extract recipe. It would help if you could list your complete recipe with steeping temp/time etc.
Extract will ferment out to 75% with most decent yeasts. Yes you can do better with mashing at low temperatures, but extract still does a good job. I have no problems using extracts and getting 80%+ attenuation with good yeast.

From 1.050 to 1.024, it is not finished. Take it to a warmer location and try and rouse the yeast from the bottom a little and see if that does anything.

If the yeast had dropped due to cold, a brew belt might still not help if the yeast cake was in contact with a very cold surface. Need to get the whole thing warmed up.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #9
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have had high final gravities a couple times with extract recipes. Both times it was with Dark LME. It may be done.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Did you taste the sample?

Reason I ask is that I broke mine several weeks ago. I bought a new one and the first time I used it I got a FG reading of 1.020 on a beer that I've brewed quite a few times and usually get around 1.015. I tasted the sample and it was just like normal, so I put the hydro in some tap water and let it equalize to room temp (62 F). It read 1.004. Give this a try and see. Also, taste your sample.

Quick Reply