Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > FG of 1.024 acceptable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
dogllama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default FG of 1.024 acceptable?

I am in the process of brewing my first beer, a Marzen Lager (yes, bad choice for 1st beer, but all the same) and my FG is at 1.024 after I correct for temp and offset on my hydrometer. Unfortunately I forgot to take an OG, but the recipe says it is 1.052.

Primary was at 55° F for a little over 2 weeks. Fermentation definitely took place, i saw air bubbles and had a krausen although a small one. I even did a diacetyl rest at 65° F for 3 days. Yeast strain was 2 dry packets of Saflager 34/70.

Is 1.024 acceptable or should I do something like pitch more yeast to get it going again?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

1.024 is a bit high for an 1.052 beer. it'll be overly sweet right now.

i've never used dry lager yeast, but when I make lagers I always pitch a lot of yeast.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Is it still in primary or did you rack out of it?

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 10-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
dogllama
Recipes 

I racked it off last night into a corny, which is when I took the 1.024 reading. I had taken a reading a week before after the airlock stopped bubbling at 1.026.

My local homebrew shop insured me 2 packs of the saflager was more than enough, but it's possible I did not aerate enough before pitching. On their advice, I pitched at 75° and then did a gradual cooling down to 55°.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
baystatebrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

did your lhbs also agree that it was a good idea that your first beer should be a lager and not an ale? be careful of those guys...most of em are pretty knowledgeable...but they aren't always the sharpest knives in the drawer. anyway take 3 days of SG and you'll know your FG. next time try an ale so you can learn the real basics, and remember to take an OG. you won't know your alcohol content for your current batch; it will be a guess based on the estimated OG, which can be a pretty wide range from what the recipe calls for in my experience.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
dogllama
Recipes 

well, my lhbs did not recommend the lager, that was my bright idea. anyway, assuming my SG stays at 1.024 for a few days, is there anything I can do such as pitching more yeast to bring it down further? what about adding more IBU's to counter act the sweetness?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
dogllama
Recipes 

I went to my lhbs and bought a packet of Nottingham yeast to try and finish it down another 10 points or so.

The packet states to use wort to cool down the starter. Would it be ok to to pull from my secondary to cool the strain and then add it back to the corny? I will sanitize my gear, but should I worried about contamination?

Old 10-17-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
Yoda
Recipes 

If you mashed grains at a high temp (high 150s+) you may have left a lot of unfermentables in there...but a Marzen is usually supposed to finish on the sweet end anyway so your beer should be quite drinkable and "to style". I just recently did an Oktoberfest Ale batch and finished at 1.02 and it's delicious. So you are likely fine.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:41 AM   #9
rsquared
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogllama View Post
My local homebrew shop insured me 2 packs of the saflager was more than enough, but it's possible I did not aerate enough before pitching. On their advice, I pitched at 75° and then did a gradual cooling down to 55°.
I'm pretty new to this, so I may be wrong, but I thought you were supposed to pitch at or below your fermenting temp. Could pitching at 75 and then cooling have changed the effectiveness of the yeast? Especially because it was a lager...

Old 10-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
I'm pretty new to this, so I may be wrong, but I thought you were supposed to pitch at or below your fermenting temp. Could pitching at 75 and then cooling have changed the effectiveness of the yeast? Especially because it was a lager...
Pitching at your fermenting temperature is recommended because at the higher temperatures yeast are much more active and will begin fermentation sooner. Normally, that's a good thing. However, the fermentation will cause the temperature to rise and you may have difficulty getting the temperature down to the desired fermentation temperature. Plus the yeast can start producing fusel alcohols, excessive esters, etc.

Long story short - it doesn't necessarily change the effectiveness of the yeast (unless it's really hot). But it can reduce the quality of your final product (though it depends). The best way to control lag times are probably through pitch rates and oxygenation.

Quick Reply