*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > few water questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
verbal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default few water questions

Does the pH level in your brewing water matter? if so, why? or what should it be around?

Also, What would a good Dissolved Oxygen % saturation be for a well aerated wort?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you're brewing with extract the ph of your water does not matter. If you are mashing grains then it is important. Try looking at the wiki, there is a wealth of brewing chemistry information there.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 01-25-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As stated, water chemistry matters most for all grain beers, and to a lesser extent, partial mash recipes. The actual pH of your water matters less than the hardness and alkalinity, however, because they determine your mash pH (that is the most important parameter when brewing from grains).

Most municipal water supplies are pretty good, though, and you likely don't have to worry. If your water tastes good, it will probably brew good beer. Just be sure to filter it or treat it to remove any chlorine products.

Regarding dissolved oxygen, the optimal levels depend on the gravity of the brew. 8 ppm is usually sufficient, and that can be achieved by shaking your cooled wort in a carboy for 2 - 3 minutes. If you need to go higher than that (e.g., for a high gravity Belgian trippel), then you need to oxygenate with compressed O2 and a diffusion stone.

Cheers!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #4
verbal

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thank you for the responses, I do work for a water quality instrumentation manufacture, so I the capability measure pH, conductivity, DO, turbidity, Salinity, etc.....but I am not sure if it is 100% necessary as for now(only on my 2nd batch of beer) I am an extract brewer. This really clears things up for me. Thank you.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Since you're doing extract, there isn't any real reason for you to measure your water quality. However, since you work in the water quality industry and if you enjoy it, you may as well measure your water and see how it goes!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Quick Reply