Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Few simple silly questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
chriscorapi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Few simple silly questions?

Hello everyone I just have a few questions to ask? While boiling or at some point before I add yeast does the more sugar in it mean the higher the alcohol percent? Also what are the core requirements to be considered a beer? Do hops always have to be used? or are there substitutions for hops? (and yes i know there are different types of hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Dunerunner
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You don't need hops to have a beer, but many styles are unapproachable to produce without them. Here is an article on Gruit...http://www.homebrewing.com/articles/gruit.php

Old 06-26-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

The more sugar, the more alcohol - to a point. Yeast strains can only survive to certain aocohol levels, so if you go crazy high, you'll have boozy sugar water.

Do note that while some styles do use some normal sugar (many Belgians, for example), you want the bulk of your sugars to come from grain - either grain you mashed, or malt extract that is preprocessed for you. Otherwise, you won't end up with beer - see boozy sugar water above.

Pretty much all beer recipes consist of water, malted barley (or the extract from it), yeast, and hops. Hops balance out the sweetness of your grains; at least some hops are required for beer. From here, lots of recipes add other ingredients, but these four are your core.

You can of course make alcoholic beverages without hops or grain, but you are no longer making beer.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
chriscorapi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
The more sugar, the more alcohol - to a point. Yeast strains can only survive to certain aocohol levels, so if you go crazy high, you'll have boozy sugar water.
What is the highest percentage you can have before it turns into sugar water? In other words whats the highest percentage a beer can handle before it cant be considered a beer anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Do note that while some styles do use some normal sugar (many Belgians, for example), you want the bulk of your sugars to come from grain - either grain you mashed, or malt extract that is preprocessed for you. Otherwise, you won't end up with beer - see boozy sugar water above.

What is the difference between using refined sugar and sugar from a cane which i think is considered table sugar?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Grimm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Generally speaking. Most yeast strains have trouble getting above 10%.
You want to be using corn sugar. read more about it here

Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

It's not a matter of refined or cane;cane sugar can be "refined as well. Or "raw" in the case of Demerara sugar (raw cane sugar). Some ferment easier &/or quicker than others by a little bit. Raw sugars can leave color & flavor elements. It's a matter of how much sugar to malts used vs how much water. Dump a 5lb bag of sugar in a 5 gallon batch of pale ale & you're getting there.
Good beer is always about balance. Not just booze content to get drunk on.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I just made a dubbel that used 20% sugar. It was 4lbs. table sugar made into invert by boiling for 3 hours in water, then added to the boil with 20 minutes remaining. You'll want to mash higher to accomodate for the drying out that will occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Chris, it's hard to answer all your questions without knowing what you are trying to accomplish. You know, something like:

"I'm trying to make a __%ABV beverage using _______ and ________, which hopefully tastes like _______." Fill in the blanks for us. And while you're at it, as a formality, confirm that you are 21 or older, and not just trying to concoct an alcohol delivery system. Thanks.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
Chris, it's hard to answer all your questions without knowing what you are trying to accomplish. You know, something like:

"I'm trying to make a __%ABV beverage using _______ and ________, which hopefully tastes like _______." Fill in the blanks for us. And while you're at it, as a formality, confirm that you are 21 or older, and not just trying to concoct an alcohol delivery system. Thanks.
Best response yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Guys he's admitted in another thread he's under 21..you couldn't tell by the questions? Reported to mods.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply