Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Few Questions About Transferring to Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
ant8344
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Few Questions About Transferring to Secondary

I just transferred my first brew to secondary and was wondering, are you supposed to leave any liquid at all in the primary? From what I understood, the auto-siphon tool that I used was not supposed to touch the bottom of the primary carboy (otherwise the gunk would be transferred as well), and if this is correct, then aren't you forced to leave a little bit of liquid in the primary?

On the same topic, anywhere I read it says that exposure to oxygen at this stage is very important to prevent. When you transfer from primary to secondary, once you pop the airlock from the primary to the point where you put on the airlock on the secondary, a good 10 minutes goes by...so is that fine? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
bearkluttz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you're going to get a little Trub, no worries. it will settle in secondary.

don't sweat the oxygen exposure. as long as you didn't have it falling in to the secondary like a waterfall and shaking it up then its not that big a deal.

you did fine. breathe in, breathe out, repeat

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!" FC1(SW) Ruben Serrato

Primary: Polar Bear Pale Ale
Secondary: Red Haired Black Bear Stout
Apfelwein Carboy:
Apple/White Cranberry Hybrid
Bottled: EdWorts Apfelwein;RPA Red Panda Ale; Kodiak Brown

Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Ben25
Recipes 

Yes, you leave behind a small amount of liquid, just enough so you don't get any trub. If at at all possible, it is good to purge your secondary with Co2 before transferring, but it's not the end of the world if you don't. (many people don't, and it turns out fine) Many people also do not use a secondary, which reduces the risk of oxidation.

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You all good.

The reason you start with 7 gallons of water (or whatever) for a 5 gallon batch is because you are always leaving some behind. You will leave more in the bottling bucket.

I let the auto-siphon touch the bottom . you get a little trub but not that much. It'll settle in the secondary.

As for "exposure to oxygen" - just don't splash the beer into the carboy - that is the important part. Put the air lock on as soon as you can but there is air in the carboy already so you have lost that battle already LOL

MAN - you guys are fast!!!!!! to answer!!

Quote:
Melted tubing brown ale
HAS to be a good story behind that one!

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Ben25
Recipes 

Haha yeah that was my first time siphoning out of the kettle through a CFC. I used the wrong kind of tubing, and it got very soft and sticky. The beer came out ok, but very bitter. Granted I used 2 oz of hops, but I think a lot of bitterness came from the tubing. It is drinkable though...

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
ant8344
Recipes 

Thanks for clearing that up everyone!

Quick Reply